Royal Wows Again!: Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by VegasMark

Sail Date: August 2017
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice
Background information

My wife and I are a young-ish couple without kids. This was our first cruise in the Mediterranean, but I have been on 25 cruises and my wife about ten. We spent a week in Rome, Florence, and Venice just prior to the cruise, as we had a long trip in from New Mexico and wanted to get the most out of our travels. I'd highly recommend spending some time in Italy before or after your cruise. Shout out to tripmasters.com who helped to make our pre-cruise portion easy and affordable.

Hotel information

Our hotel in Venice was called the Hotel Canaletto, and I'd recommend it for your pre or post cruise stay. Breakfast was included, it was clean, safe, and less than a ten minute walk to the Rialto Bridge or St. Mark's Square.

Ship information

I have not been on a Vision class ship in about a decade, but this ship is great! I had read some reviews saying the ship is "tired", but I wholeheartedly disagree. I did not More see any issues with the condition of the ship.

Activities

This is not an Oasis class ship in terms of activities available, but there is still plenty on board to keep you occupied during a port intensive voyage. There were multiple trivia sessions each day, a rock climbing wall, a nice gym, and a jogging track, among other things to keep you busy. I will say that trying to run on the track anytime between 10am and 6pm is going to be frustrating if not impossible because there are so many chairs and people on the track. I ran after 6pm, and I was pleased that one mile is equivalent to only four laps, which is hard to believe on a small ship (I've been on ships where it takes ten laps).

The service was phenomenal! Big shout out to our cabin steward Inam. He was so nice and did an exception job. He even worked longer than his normal hours to clean our cabin (even though we told him not to worry about it). He is genuinely a great person! We also really enjoyed our time in the main dining room. Maria, the headwaiter, did a perfect job of making sure my wife's special order was correct every night. She was also a lot of fun to talk to and very helpful. I saw her in the Windjammer one day, and she was asking if I needed a table and was bussing tables. She did whatever was necessary to make people happy. We also liked our assistant waiter we had on most nights, Kevin. We both think he was very capable of being a lead waiter - he took my order of 4-6 appetizers/entrées without even jotting them down.

Port & shore excursions

The only ship excursion we did was the Monastery/Melissani Cave tour in Argostoli. The only complaint I have is that we did the Monastery first, followed by a stop in a fishing village (which was nice for shopping), and then the cave last. The problem with this plan is that once the sun goes past the cave opening, the visual experience is not as good. So although the cave was beautiful, I feel like we missed the opportunity to see it at its best. The guide explained that we left the port late due to a problem with RCL (we waited about 20 minutes in the bus), and as a result, we did not go to the cave first because he didn't want us to wait behind all the other tours that left earlier.

Our cabin (3614) was perfect for our needs. It was in close proximity to the aft stairs, which worked well for getting to the dining room and only a brief walk to get on or off the ship. The cabin was clean and quiet. Our cabin steward, Iman, did an excellent job.

The quality of food on the ship was great. We really enjoyed both the Windjammer and MDR. I will say that the MDR did not offer a breakfast menu. The only option was the buffet they set up in the center of the MDR (which was good). Still, I know some people will be disappointed that they cannot order off the menu. I'm not sure if this change is fleet wide or just on this ship/itinerary. I did miss the options that are offered on Oasis class ships (a real Park Café, Boardwalk Dog House, Promenade Café, etc.).

We missed all of the production shows due to port times and eating late, but all of the guest performers were excellent. RCL always does an excellent job of having great outside acts. We had two magicians, a jazz/pop quartet, and a shadow puppet performer (cooler than it sounds).

Disembarkation

Disembarkation was easier than we've experienced in the US. I'm sure this was partially due to the smaller ship than we are used to, but also because there was not a formal customs check.

Summary

All in all, we had a great first cruise in Greece and we would highly recommend this ship and RCL! Less

Published 09/13/17
1 Helpful Vote

Cabin review: F3614 Large Ocean View Stateroom

Read All Large Ocean View Stateroom (F) Reviews >>

We did the Monastery/Melissani Cave. I thought this was a worthwhile excursion.

Acropolis

Athens was one of the main reasons we booked this cruise, and it did not disappoint. We took the X80 bus for just a couple of euros each into Athens and bought a combo ticket from the Temple of Olympian Zeus ticket window. I'd suggest you go here first because the line to get tickets at the Acropolis was much longer. We paid 30 euro each for tickets, which is a good deal if you plan on seeing more than just the Acropolis (we were able to hit four or five sites in just a few hours).

A very nice town to walk around and explore.
Read 519 Corfu Reviews

We did not know much about Kotor before our arrival, but really liked it. It had the feel of a small, medieval city. We really enjoyed the hike up to St. John's Castle.
Read 490 Kotor Reviews

The cathedral is worth seeing as you explore town.
Read 490 Kotor Reviews

A pretty island, but we thought Paradise Beach was overrated. I'm sure if you are young and staying the night there the clubs get pretty crazy. But during the day, it just seemed overcrowded and jammed with loung chairs.
Read 855 Mykonos Reviews