3. Celebrity Solstice
This was our 25th wedding anniversary trip. I originally booked a sunset veranda room, then canceled and rebooked a room that ended up being a 2C. That is my only real regret of the trip. Only other 2 cruise lines I have been on were Carnival and Disney. The disney ship (Dream) and service were outstanding. Celebrity compared very favorably in both respects. The CC expert review could not have described the fellow passengers any better. We could not have chose better for this occasion imo. Random thoughts: -we upgraded to the premium drink package, and that was a smart move -I understand there are surely technological limitations on providing internet, but they charge a pretty high rate. I bought the internet 3 days and for large stretches of those 3 days it either didn't work at all, or was slow enough to be almost unusable. The method of authorizing a device, purchasing and signing in was great. And I suspect the issues I had were due to mountain, weather, or similar unavoidable issues. Still, this was disappointing. -The room itself was great. Plenty of room, no issues with smoke (though we did get some from the deck below us as I had been warned), bathroom really nice. -The only way I would ever take a room on the 6th deck would be if I were extremely price sensitive. The lifeboat, while not exactly obscuring the view a great deal, made picture taking a chore. I know that sounds like I am looking for something to complain about. -The excursions were a highlight. The floatplane in Ketchikan is must-do. The whale-watching and trail hike in Juneau were great. The Skagway train ride, which I thought would be a/the highlight, was actually the excursion I enjoyed least. And I enjoyed it alot -We ate at Silk Harvest one night. Great experience. We changed from Murano to Tuscan Grill, and that ended up being a good move. I am not sure my wife couldve found much to her liking at Murano. I wouldve eaten either of these places again. -The main dining room was surprisingly good. I was very impressed with the menu and the service. -The buffet was ugh for anything other than breakfast. Kind of like a Golden Corral. I understand that is likely a by product of having to feed that many people in that format. Breakfast was ok, but any other time we avoided it if possible. -boarding and debarking the ship was amazingly easy. I have heard of people having major issues with this, and it was cake. -There were no issues with billing.

Alaska from Seattle room 6279

Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by simon.hed

• Sail Date: August 2017
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Veranda (partially obstructed view)

Random thoughts:

-we upgraded to the premium drink package, and that was a smart move

-There were no issues with billing.
simon.hed’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Solstice price drops

Deluxe Veranda (partially obstructed view)
Cabin 2C 6279
The cabin itself was great. Plenty of room/storage. I had read some rooms in this category had issues with smoke. While we smelled it a couple of times outside, it was never an issue. The lifeboats, while not technically an obstruction (only if you tried to look straight down I suppose), were an eyesore. They really affected how you tried to take pictures.
Continental Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins