Alaska via Disney was Wonder(ful) (but only 7 days :-( ): Disney Wonder Cruise Review by Doug.Rubin

Disney Wonder 5
Doug.Rubin
Member Since 2017
2 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Alaska via Disney was Wonder(ful) (but only 7 days :-( )

Sail Date: August 2017
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver
We are veteran Disney cruisers (have been on RC twice, but not for us) that choose the mostly more-interesting, longer cruises to places we've never been before. Hence, it was time this summer to get to Vancouver and do the SE Alaskan pan-handle thing.

Only 7-days, getting back to the same port (we've done repositionings and the flight planning hassle is often worth it, due to the diversity of locations one gets to experience) meant that we only had 3 relatively short port days plus a drive-by of some glacier unfreezing into a fjord.

We love the ship and the entire Disney-service experience. Food was excellent, not haute cuisine but comparable to any good-excellent restaurant that we usually visit. More importantly, my wife has a myriad of food allergies/restrictions and Disney and our servers could not have been better. I can eat salmon, while my wife next to me (who is allergic to fish oil) can have her chicken knowing that she won't be visiting the bathroom in More 15 minutes.

Shows are good, but we've seen most of them previously. Kind of wish they did a little more "edgy" comedy, but this is mostly family-fare, and we like the overall atmosphere just fine.

Ports of Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan were well-traveled, comfortable and worth the visits. We choose to do our own excursions after a bit of research on the various Boards and forums and DCL generally offers a free bus service into the downtown Juneau while letting the $2 bus ply its trade in Ketchikan. Very sensible.

We like our Category 6/7 cabin which is the least expensive verandah typically near the stern. Not much vibration, except when going into port when they use their thrusters. Less

Published 09/12/17

Cabin review: 07A7634 Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Navigator's Verandah

We had the same cabin on the Disney Magic through the Baltic's and we are scheduled to be in a similar cabin in 2018. Kind of perfect for us, as I treasure the Veranda, that reminds me every time I look out the window, that, "I'm at sea!". Yet, the price is $200~$800 less than the Category 5's and we are ok with metal veranda and the farther aft location (which is quite convenient to the elevators and the "secret stairs" to Cabana's.

Read All Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Navigator's Verandah (07A) Reviews >>