3. Coral Princess
The ports were great and Princess handled the arrivals and excursions very well. My husband and I enjoyed the touring and we have no complaints about the way the naturalist narrated the on-ship visit to the glaciers. The cruise ship left lots to be desired. We had a mini suite and paid for club class. The first evening I spent from 11:00 PM to 1:00 AM waiting for a maintenance person to figure out why our toilet wouldn't flush. He had to cut into a wall and although he resolved the issue, the odor in the bathroom persisted all seven days. I had considered asking for another cabin, but when I heard about the problems that others were experiencing, I decided not to do that. Others had water pouring into their suites and large commercial dehumidifiers set up to dry out various areas. The dehumidifiers were also set up in some of the hallways. Other people mentioned the odor that was quite foul—combination of garbage and sewage. I was not impressed with club class. We signed up for it since it was advertised that we would get preferred seating and special selections in the dining room. We did get preferred seating, but there were no special selections. The club class also included canapés each evening. Since they came the first two days without ordering, I was surprised to find that on the third day, they had to have been ordered 24-hours in advance. The food was not what we have come to expect on cruise ships. Our most recent experiences had been on Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. The food on those lines was fabulous—tasty and top class. On Princess, sauces had no taste and steaks were tough. I learned after the first few days to order fish, which was much better. The salmon was especially good, but there weren't enough meals that were memorable. Fresh vegetables were scarce and desserts were not that good. We ate dinner late and had been accustomed to attending the entertainment at a late showing on previous cruises. We missed some of the entertainment because we had dinner late. The service up at the pool level was terrible. I had to get up and walk to the bar each time I desired a drink. The app that Princess set up so that we could communicate via text message with other passengers was interesting but not practical. It did not send notifications. So, messages were received, but unless you were staring at the phone or checking regularly, there was no way to know that a message was received. Another thing that I think Princess has to consider is that just because one of the persons in a couple made the arrangements, both will have expenses and opinions. My husband made the arrangements online, but both of our emails were registered with Princess. In advance of the trip, I received many emails requesting that I book excursions. After the trip, only he received an evaluation form. I went online and requested my own form, but did not receive one. Additionally, on the app used for managing expenses incurred while on the ship, he could see my charges, but I could not see his. If it is a "room" account, we should no longer experience such discrimination.

Great ports; cruise ship left much to be desired

Coral Princess Cruise Review by LL Retiree