3. Costa Mediterranea
I'll begin saying that every single cruise I have made so far has been a great experience, and this one is no exception. But as this is a review, I should also point out that compared to other cruise lines and ships, this one was somewhat disappointing. The good This baltic itinerary is wonderful! Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersbourgh and Tallinn are all wonderful places to see. There was always enough time to visit (2 days for st Petersbourgh and Stockholm) and only one day at sea, which is perfect. Our waiter at the restaurant was great: incredibly professional and efficient, it made our dinners a great experience. We had a guaranteed balcony cabin, and were upgraded to a "Balcony Premium". Really nice cabin, enjoyed great views. Took the airplane with them, and except for a delay on the way back, everything was organized perfectly. The bad The buffet was a nightmare: it felt like a battle every time you got into there. Poorly managed, very low quality, no rules enforced (not even basic hygene), lines everywhere. Also, no drinks at all except for breakfast and tea (16.30 / 17.30). Only water throughout the day: no coffee, no tea, nothing. Asked for hot water, told to get to the bar and pay for a tea. Closed for most of the day. Waiters looked like they didn't want to be there, and some of them were downright rude. It's a pity because most of the crew is hard working and really nice. I think management is to blame for that. I've travelled with NCL, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, MSC, and this was by far the worst buffet I've ever seen. One of the things I love about cruises is the evening shows at the theater. Well, the shows there were so boring! This is a pity because dancers were pretty good, but overall it seemed there was no direction. A couple of times I went out before the end of the show. I didn't like the ship. Everything seemed a bit "cheap". Plastic everywhere, fake flowers, fake statues, fake columns, fake everything. Also, rather dark and not the cleanest I've seen. The gym opened relatively late (7 am), and was not kept clean at all. Rules were not enforced (like everywhere else) so that some people were walking on the tapis roulant for hours, with people behind them waiting or having to argue. Lines there as well. On the other hand I should mention the the instructor was very good. Overall I wouldn't consider Costa for my next cruises and would't recommend them, unless for a VERY good deal and a great itinerary. Not because it's a bad experience by itself (it isn't), but because any other mainstream cruise line I've travelled with is simply better for me.

Great itinerary, relatively poor service

Costa Mediterranea Cruise Review by simale

Overall

simale’s Full Rating Summary

Balcony Premium
Cabin BP
The cabin on the seventh floor was perfect for two, and kept reasonably clean throughout the cruise. Some noise that seemed water could be heard at night, but nothing too disturbing.
Pegaso Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins