3. Volendam
I wanted to do an Alaskan cruise and the dates I was available suited this cruise. Overall it would have been an enjoyable experience but their inability to cater to my diet, spoiled the cruise. I am celiac and need a gluten free diet. I had a terrible time trying to access GF food and would strongly recommend no-one uses this cruise line if they have dietary issues. Apart from the main dining room, where I had to order 24 hours in advance (difficult if out late on a trip), I was constantly told at the buffet that nothing was GF except the salad and fruit, in spite of a sign on the buffet saying GF food available on request, that appeared to only apply to packet bread and muffins. The pool bar offered a GF burgher or hot dog with GF bun, but couldn't eat the chips as they were coated with flour. They also offered a mexican type buffet, but that wasn't particularly appetising and didn't want the same thing everyday. A friend has just been on a P & O cruise where the head waiter sought him out on the first day and sat down with him every evening to go through the menu. I had none of this, in spite of constantly approaching staff to ask what I could eat. HAL were told about me and sent through a list of GF food I could order but when, on the last day I went to the front desk in tears as I couldn't find anything to eat for lunch, they said they didn't know about me. Not true. Loved the coffee in the coffee place. However none of the complimentary pastries were gluten free. If I got there in the morning could get some fresh blueberries and strawberries. Excursions good, saw 2 types of whale. Wonderful buffet, but the outside caterer didn't know what was in the food, so couldn't eat much, after paying over $180 for the trip. The Goodtime girls excursion was brilliant in Skagway, would recommend it. Only put this up so help anyone with dietary issues but they've asked for more info about cruise so I'm now waffling. Embarkation an disembarkation efficient. Best entertainment was the Indonesian crew putting on a show. Enjoyed talk from the captain

Don't use this cruise line if you have dietary issues

Volendam Cruise Review by Disappointedwith HAL

• Sail Date: July 2017
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean-View Stateroom

The Goodtime girls excursion was brilliant in Skagway, would recommend it.

Disappointedwith HAL’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Volendam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin EE 1945
Cabin was fine, glad I paid a little extra for outside cabin.
Lower Promenade Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Glacier Bay
    No trips offered here but cruise ship went round the bay so had good views of glaciers. Cold and wet but at least we were under cover and could go indoors to warm up. Only complaint, ship offering hot soup for free, had just had breakfast but would have liked the hot chocolate on offer, but you had to buy one of the flasks on sale with the chocolate inside for $18. Didn't want flask so no chocolate!
    View All 13,150 Glacier Bay Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Glacier Bay Cruise Port Review
  • Tracy Arm Fjord Catamaran
    Guide was good. However, yet again in spite of them being warned about myself and another tourist needing gluten diet, there was nothing. There were free snacks, none GF and I had to buy a packet of crisps as we were over 5 hours on the trip and there was nothing else I could eat apart from the small packed lunch which they then removed a third of as that was a pack of wheat biscuits. Was finally offered a cup of dried salmon when it was opened to put on biscuits for the rest of group, to encourage them to buy packes of it. It is apparently illegal to take food off the boat so that wasn't an option.
    View All 47 Tracy Arm Fjord Catamaran Reviews
  • Whale Watching
    Trip was fine and saw Orcas as well as Humpbacks. They had outside caterers organise a wonderful buffet and in spite of paying $184 dollars for the trip we could only eat the fruit and salad. Very disappointing.
    View All 841 Whale Watching Reviews
  • Zip-lining
    Scary but enjoyable. Well looked after by the 2 young guides, Andrew and Luke
    View All 82 Zip-lining Reviews
  • Helicopter Tour
    Unfortunately cancelled due to poor weather. Was offered alternative but without dog sledding so was given a refund with no problem
    View All 61 Helicopter Tour Reviews
  • Historical Tour
    Had a tour of the town and brothel with the "madam". A lot of fun and as well as giving info about history of Skagway and the lives of the women.
    View All 23 Historical Tour Reviews
  • Vancouver
    Spent 2 weeks staying with a friend in Vancouver, have been before and love the place.
    View All 667 Vancouver Cruise Port Reviews