Diamond Princess Cruise Review

Diamond Princess Cruise Review by mab582014

• Sail Date: Aug 2017
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

We Boarded the Diamond Princess in Yokohama ( be aware that Yokohama is about an hour south of Tokyo). The Yokohama port is lovely however be aware that the boarding process is different and caused a bit of confusion for most of us as there is little signage inside. They give you a number and you sit and wait - but that's before you clear immigration (not after) - once your paperwork is done you get straight on.

We always get a balcony cabin and again I wasn't disappointed. The new beds are beautiful. We went on an 8 day Cruise around the northern island of Japan (Hokkaido) and into Korsakov in Russia. The staff were great as usual.

The meals were great and the ship is really nice but I found the entertainment on this Cruise below standard for Princess Cruising. It was very disappointing and boring. A lot of dancing and shows were either pre-recorded music or on the big screen. None of the tribute music shows etc.

Our day trips were

Kushiro - we went on the Princess excursion to the Fish markets ( very disappointing - nothing there much except seafood for sale. Its a small room nothing like you would expect. We then went to Cape Aikappu - it was very heavy rain so we didn't see much except the wild deer. Then we went to a Restaurant for lunch which was a cook your self BBQ. - I would rate this day trip as just OK

Shiretoko Peninsula - This was cruising past the scenic coastline - reminded me of the lower south island of NZ

Korsakov - Russia - I really enjoyed the day in Russia. It was obvious the status difference between the shrines / monuments and the public housing ( depressing ghetto). I went on a Princess planned trip. I would have liked more time at the Museum and Church of St Nicholas and not gone to the shopping mall (waste of time). I didn't travel to Russia to see a shopping center.

Otaru - I loved this day trip (Princess one) we went to the Aoyama Villa - Shrine, Otaru Rope-way and the canal market area

Hakodate - We went on a Princess excursion and it went to the markets, rope car to the top of Mt Hokodate and the Motamarchi district

Disembarkation ran very smoothly (much better than the Embarkation)

mab582014's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin B2 C502

The cabin was really good. It had a larger than normal balcony. Plenty of clothes hangers and shelves for clothes. The bathroom is almost identical to the last one. The new beds are really nice. Lots of movies on the TV.

Meiji Shrine