3. Carnival Inspiration
My wife and I took my mom and stepdad because my mom has always wanted to take a cruise but has never had the opportunity. We picked this three day cruise because we weren't sure if cruising would be either of their cup of tea. We've mostly enjoyed Carnival cruises and have sailed on the Inspiration multiple times. This time was different and far worse. First off, we sailed the Inspiration last year with our children. Last year, the atrium elevators were not working. This year, exactly the same. Maybe (conincidentally) they broke again, but neither trip did we see anybody working to fix them. Considering this is a focal point of the ship, it really does make a huge difference to the overall ambiance. Similarly, one of our favorite things are the dinners. We like to get to know other guests and hear about their days - which often give us ideas for future trips. We ALWAYS request late seating so we have time to enjoy the day - especially on shore days. This time we were given early and when I called to see what happened customer "service" did nothing for me. Somehow in a ten topper table "none" of the other guests attended any of the dinners. Service has always been amazing on the ship. Like past trips, the dining room and cabin staff were amazing. Sadly, after booking a $200 spa package, my wife was given the run around causing her much frustration for overpriced "relaxation". Even worse, on our last night, our cabin door was not working and I needed to go to guest services on multiple occasions. Each time no matter how nice I tried to be, the lone person working the desk was incredibly rude and disagreeable. Maybe she was having a bad day, maybe she is just that way. I know all the staff work long and hard so I bend over backwards to be friendly and respectful but definitely did not receive that in return. Lastly, I have to say, all the items on the menu now that are "additional charges" is ridiculous. I get having other services, products and restaurants that a special but putting them on the menu in the main dining room seems very tacky. Are we headed down the path where "normal" people get top ramen and mac and cheese with the option to upgrade? Aside from food, this is basically a floating hotel, especially given the fact that this cruise seemed to have only one show. Maybe our days with carnival are done. Hopefully, other lines still provide the value and service that made cruising a one-stop-shop for family vacations.

Going downhill fast.