Our first cruise: we live in Seattle so very convenient departure of course. We went with our adult children for a 7 day including Sitka and Glacier bay. I'm not too into a lot of what cruise ships offer such as gambling, drinking, kind of cheesy entertainment and constant eating. But we enjoyed it a lot; it's a great family vacation because the kids could do stuff on their own and so could we and we could also come together a lot. We rented 2 cabins and they had their own. I would say the cruise into Glacier bay and the excursions make the cruise. In Sitka, we walked around ourselves while the kids did adventures because HA is the only cruise ship in port but in Juneau and Ketchikan 4 cruise ships are in the same day and if you don't go on excursions it is just an enormous amount of people being disgorged in a small place and lot of souvenir and jewelry shops. We had a verandah cabin which all in all, was worth the cost although the way up was so cloudy we couldn't see land. The kids had an interior cabin which was fine for them. The food was somewhat uneven, some great, some sub par. I preferred the MDR to the Lido deck not because of the food but the Lido was so noisy and lines were long and somewhat slow. Room service was great. Staff was great. Dive in hamburger counter was very good if you like burgers; Pizza was OK. We didn't go to the extra @ dining room options. I also enjoyed the Crow's nest which was like a coffee shop area; you paid extra but it wasn't much, like $2.50 for a double shot espresso. My son enjoyed the fitness center and my daughter the spa. The BB king club's band was very good; check them out! The classical music is also quite good. As for excursions, we enjoyed very much whale watching in Juneau, my kids did a strenuous glacier hike (it was listed a strenuous but my son found it moderate) and dog mushing which they both liked a lot. Salmon bake we all did which was a little disappointing as they overcooked the salmon some (a very common problem!). In Sitka, kids did 4x4 safari and pedal and brew which they liked and we walked around historical Sitka which, if you have that interest, was great. I preferred being on our own to going with a big group. In Ketchikan, we did Lumberjack; this was OK; pretty short and kind of cheesy but still fun and then the crab feast; the crab was incredible; if you are a crab fan, recommend. The kids did zipline which was scary but fun for them.

First cruise

Ages 16+
Get Holland America Eurodam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin V 6157
The cabin was aft; if you get easily seasick there was some rolling while on more open sea, but it didn't bother us. It is convenient to the MDR. The view was fine and the cabin was quiet.
Upper Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins