3. Norwegian Gem
While I had a good time a lot of people had complaints. I found someone's sock in my bed and my son found a makeup brush underneath the bed. At the Magenta Dining Room the soup was not hot and it did not have cheese for French onion soup. My son's New England Clam Chowder was tasteless and his NY strip steak inedible. I ended up eating at the Garden Cafe for the buffet where the food was better. BEWARE read the fine print. I had the unlimited beverage package which did not cover certain things. Flavored martinis were not covered and you got charged if you ordered soda to the room. I had a lovely penthouse suite with a large balcony and it wasn't part of the package. I went to put some items in a top cubby hole and I got dust all over myself. It is a good thing I read some things because even though I paid extra for a suite I found out the service charge did not cover the butler. He was very nice. I had a wonderful massage, but then the spa lady in Mandara kept trying to sell me more services I didn't want and kept on pestering me. There are no cartoon channels for kids and most of the channels are just news. I did enjoy the entertainment with Second City and the dancing productions. They were top rate. There was a hypnotist on the ship and I went to a few of her shows. They were very good and she pointed out that if you don't want to be hypnotized it will not happen for you. Just remember at the end of the shows she had a table where for over $100 you could buy her DVD and flash drive. The casino kept pushing there version of lotto. They would sell it before shows in the theatre as well as the casino. The casino ran a couple of tournaments including a black jack tournament and a slots tournament where the top prize was $500. The prices on the ship for duty free goods such as perfume and liquor are not worth it. You can use reliable internet sites that cost a lot less. I bought the internet package, but found the reception to not be that great at sea. The transfer service the ship runs to Universal in Florida is worth it. It's only $59 and it is less than private vendors. The fare does not include admission to the parks. On their private island of Great Stirrup Cay I got closed out of the parasailing, but the concierge on the ship said they were calling ahead to see if more positions would open and they did for the afternoon. The private cabanas are very expensive. In Nassau there were trips to the Atlantis, but be aware if you want to use the features of the hotel such as the slides or the dolphin adventure they can get pretty pricey. After Nassau, it's 2 days on the ship till return to New York. They ran several specials at the spa due to cancellations and openings. Disembarking was relatively easy. Just had to wait for my ride to get to the pier.

BE ADVISED

sthailer’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Gem price drops

Penthouse with Large Balcony
Cabin SE 10002
Large spacious penthouse with Queen size bed and large balcony. Balcony was 208 sq ft which was much larger than the inside cabins and oceanview rooms. I didn't need to relax by the pool because the balcony was so comfortable and peaceful. I had food brought to the room and did my reading. Bathroom had a very nice tub. There is a large screen tv, but there are not many channels. I found someone's sock in my bed and my son found someone's makeup brush under the bed. My son said the extra sofa bed was very uncomfortable.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Parasailing
    At first when we went to book this it was all booked up, but then the cruise ship called the island and found out more excursions were opened for the afternoon. We got off the boat at noon and found out we would be going at 3PM. It was only 5 minutes or so of air time, but it was very peaceful up there and not frightening at all.
    View All 13 Parasailing Reviews
  • Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure
    The only thing I booked with the ship was the $59 transportation fee from the port to Universal. The fee was quite reasonable. Once there you pay on your own for the admission to the park. They got us there at 230PM and picked us up by 715PM to get back to the ship before 830PM.
    View All 53 Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure Reviews