Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Review

Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Review by Tilac

• Sail Date: Mar 2017
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Penthouse Suite

This cruise was from Rio de Janeiro to Miami on March 8, 2017 on regent Seven Seas Mariner.

This was the worst high end cruise line I have ever experienced.

We have been cruising on Seabourn and Crystal for the last 5 years. We decided to try Regent as they had an itinerary that was attractive and we wanted to see how they compared.

We liked the all-inclusive fee structure with business class air. Well the business class was only on the international flight and not the other 5 flights we needed to get to Rio from our house and back.

What were the issues?

1- The service they used to transfer us from the airport to the hotel (we had one night in Rio before the cruise) was a disaster. They gather about 10 us from the United flight and said they were waiting for some additional people. We waited about 30 minute more and we were all getting anxious to leave. No more passengers came so they told us to proceed to the bus. Well out the door we went into a very hot and humid curb side and NO bus. We waited about 10 more minutes and a rundown very small bus arrived. Finally we would get some relief from the heat. No we didn’t as the bus air-conditioning was on but it was cooler outside the bus then inside. Everyone opened the windows. Not a good way to get the first taste of Regent. I know that better busses were available as the bus that took us from the hotel to the ship was fine. My grade F-.

2- The main dining room, Compass Rose, had the worst service on any ship that we have used. In the 21 day cruise I had to ask for more water every meal except for 2. The salt and pepper shakers both contained salt (one was labeled pepper) three times and once the adjoining table had the same issue. One time they gave us only 3 menus for the four of us. After 5 minutes we had to ask for another. We once finished our first course and they had not asked us if we wanted wine. We had to ask for it. The servers in this main dining room were both under staffed and not trained. Service for the most part was slow. I know this sounds like nit picking but when this happens meal after meal it is annoying. On no other cruise have we had such consistently poor service. Grade, D.

3- One morning at 7am they were making announcements in the public areas for 1 hour. Now you were not supposed to hear this in your room but it did wake me up and was very annoying. Our room was 834 and not that close to any public areas. Another F.

4- The lecture for the most part was just one person. I am use to a variety of lectures and various topics. Give them a C based on variety.

What did I like?

1- The shower was the best of any ship. Regent has started to convert their shower tub arraignment into just a shower. We had one of the converted cabins. Shower an A+.

2- The butler and room attendants were very good and friendly. I’d give them an A.

Will we travel on Regent again?

Probably not.

Tilac's Full Rating Summary

Penthouse Suite
Cabin C 834

Plenty of room. GREAT shower.

St. Lucia

Would not let anyone off the ship that was not vaccinated for yellow fever. It would have been nice if this fact was known prior to cruise.

Tilac