3. Crystal Serenity
This was my first cruise in decades, and the first ever for my husband. He was particularly worried about the "people" factor. Suffice it to say, we are converted and cannot wait for our next crystal experience! Accommodations Our room was very nice and roomy enough. We had a balcony which I think is a must. We were traveling with my parents who had the cabin next to use and we were able to open the door between our balconies which allowed us some common space without giving up our privacy. We loved this. I was especially impressed with the bathroom - a double sink and roomy shower. The closet was a good size, room under the beds for luggage, and a stocked refrigerator. Dining We were extremely impressed with the food options and felt that every dinner in the dining room was like a fine dining experience. The dishes were elegant, delicious and well presented. The wine options were really nice as well and people really went out of the way to make sure everyone had their favorite drink. We also really enjoyed the specialty restaurant Prego - the carpaccio was amazing! Silk Road was good but I expected better. I think I would probably opt for the sushi bar next time around. Most mornings were had breakfast at the buffet and the options were comprehensive and of high quality - we especially appreciated all the healthy options. Lunches in the dining room were good but not as stellar as the dinners - although the coconut nut shrimp I had one had was one of my favorite dishes on the trip! We also enjoyed the fancy tea one afternoon and the spread for that was incredible. The bistro always had something available, if you just wanted a bite, and it was a nice area to enjoy an afternoon coffee or tea. Service One word describes the service: exceptional. Our waiters in the main dining room - Nicola and Emir were wonderful - very personable and great at making us feel welcome. Our wine steward Mila knew all our favorites after our second night and had my husband's drink almost as soon as he sat down. We felt like special guests everywhere we went. It was a great feeling. Our cabin attendant Jasmina was wonderful and always friendly and interested in making us as comfortable as possible. The ship The spaces on the ship were comfortable and attractive and spacious enough that everyone could find their spot without being on top of each other. There were lots of areas that looked lovely that I never got to spend time in because I was so busy. I especially loved the Saloon bar. Entertainment There are a lot of options hoping to appeal to a wide range of interests I never got to see a movie but thought the variety was great. The main stage shows were okay - I'm not a fan of singing to pre-recorded music so when that was used I wasn't a fan. The billy Joel show was good -a great lead and well produced. We also loved Perry Grant (who performed nightly in the Saloon) and his extremely unique style. There was a community that formed just from people who enjoyed Perry every night. We also thought the magician Derek Hughes was excellent and were super excited to see Crystal has a relationship with the Magic Castle. It means the quality of magic going forward will be high. My husband thought that much of the evening entertainment, while well-produced, lacked any edge. He would have preferred a nightly band (rock, jazz, blues) in one of the bars that strayed from the smooth lounge music that was ubiquitous on the ship. Activities I'm sorry that I did not have more hours in the day to take advantage of everything offered. I really wanted to take a dance class but never had the time. My dad loved the bridge classes and raved about the teacher on board. Excursions and sites We enjoyed all of our excursions. My husband was especially fond of the the fishing trip in Juneau and felt it was the experience of a lifetime. We also felt the trip to see the Davidson glacier up close was very special. Seeing the glaciers in glacier bay and then the Hubbard glacier were the highlights of the trip. They were spectacular!! The captain steered the ship to make sure everyone had a fantastic view. I would have liked to have at least an idea ahead of time what we would be seeing. I ended up canceling a massage appointment I had been looking forward to because it turned out to be right when we were passing the glaciers in Glacier Bay. I understand that likely the times are tentative due to weather, but I felt there wasn't even an idea given beforehand about what to expect. Perhaps that is my one complaint, it would be helpful to have more information earlier, instead of agendas delivered to cabins in the evening, so we can plan better. For example, if bridge classes are almost always beginners in the morning and intermediate in the afternoons, why not tell us that? or if dance classes almost always happen right after lunch - let people know that. Or that every evening a movie will be shown twice, and then again the next afternoon. For those of us new, it took us days to get the pattern and it would have been helpful to have a sense of this earlier. Overall, our experience was excellent. We can't wait to return. It was wonderful to cruise with family as everyone could do their own thing and meet up for dinner each night to share experiences. Crystal really impressed us at every turn. It's well worth the cost.

Converted the non-cruiser

Crystal Serenity Cruise Review by Jkoppen

• Sail Date: August 2017
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Stateroom with Verandah (slightly limited view)

Accommodations

The ship

Activities

Excursions and sites

Jkoppen’s Full Rating Summary
Get Crystal Serenity price drops

Deluxe Stateroom with Verandah (slightly limited view)
Cabin B2 8067
We chose the slightly limited view for a small savings and were glad we did. The obstruction was below so didn't bother us looking out. Really nice room that was comfortable for us.
Horizon Deck Balcony Cabins