3. Oasis of the Seas
We were a group of six travelling. Two adults, four teenagers ages 16, 16, 17, and 18. 2 boys 2 girls. 2 ours, 2 friends of ours! We were very excited about the cruise. The other two kids had never been on a cruise, so it was especially exciting for them. We flew in from Newark the night before, so we were nicely relaxed when we got to the port. We had traveled with Royal Caribbean before so we had “Gold” status. Big whoopee! The first check-in lady was a little abrupt and didn’t want all six of us to go to the same desk, we quickly rectified that, and the lady that checked us in was really nice, and very efficient. The whole process took about 20 minutes. We were able to walk straight onto the boat. Seeing the faces of the kids was worth every penny! The ship is humungous! You feel like you are in the middle of a large mall, not on a boat. Our rooms were ready almost immediately, but we decided to tour around first. The kids went one way and we went the other promising to meet up for dinner. We avoided the windjammer, because I had read many reviews that the lines were long, and headed to central park. Breathtaking, that’s the only way I can describe it. It was beautiful, we went into the park café, and had one of their roast beef sandwiches – my advice – get two, they are very small! But, boy, are they delicious. We went to the room to find our soda cups ready for us. My husband had got the alcohol packages, myself the refreshment package, and the kids the soda package. I was disappointed to find that the soda machines were not working. There were a lot of issues with them for the whole trip. There are a few around, windjammer, Sorrento’s pizza (two there) and the arcade (nobody ever at that one!), there may have been others, but I’ve forgotten! The good thing is the bars will fill up the cups for you. We got the drinks packages on sale. 30% off, that made a huge difference. I don’t think I really got my money’s worth, but I did enjoy the cappuccinos every morning, and with dessert in the evening. My husband stuck with the fruity drinks, because of the discount, he felt he got his money’s worth. I don’t believe the soda package goes on sale. But it is $3.00 (I think) for one soda, so if you are going to drink more than three a day, then it’s worth it. The Rooms: We had three rooms, two superior inside, and one superior ocean balcony. The rooms were lovely, absolutely no need to bring an extension cord, there were plenty of outlets. Our balcony door whined a lot the first night, as if the seal wasn’t tight enough. It drove me crazy. We mentioned it to our steward (Nikoli) and it was fixed immediately. We were on the tenth floor. I’d heard complaints of tiny bathrooms. We had no problems, although we are not big people, I’m 5’2” about 125lb and my husband is 6’2” about 180lbs, both the teenage boys were over 6’ and had no issues. I did bring the over the door organizer, big help, although there was plenty of room in the bathroom shelves. The girls found it especially useful make-up, creams, etc. I brought magnets, and magnetic hooks. great idea, we hung our sea passes there, as well as hats, etc. We had no communication with each other on the boat so I bought the white boards from the dollar store and put them on the doors of our cabins, we would write each other notes (at the pool, gone for breakfast etc.). Really helped a lot. Dinner: We had the 5:30 dinner time. My husband wanted later, but I felt 8:30 was too late. We went to dinner every night. Our waiters Malcolm and Deven were absolutely amazing. One of the kids we brought with us has a severe nut allergy, every night Deven gave us the menu for the next night, our child picked what he wanted to eat for that night, and the food was specially prepared for him. I was so impressed by that. Nothing was ever too much trouble for them. They always had our drinks prepared, and held our table even when we were almost an hour late one night. We did let them know we were running late. We made sure to tip them at the end of the cruise (in their hand – wanted to make sure they got it). The food was good, always hot. I would have like to have seen a little more variety. I’m not much of a food connoisseur, so anything is good with me. Dinner was always served in a timely manner, and with a smile. Entertainment WOW! We booked all our entertainment online before we boarded, I highly recommend you do that, especially for the comedy clubs. The others you can probably get into. Cats was a strange show, I didn’t quite understand the story line, however, the singing and dancing was amazing. We have theatre kids so they saw it twice! We also spent some time with the “crew”, seeing that we love to see how things work. Frozen in time, was ok, I wouldn’t see it again, and wasn’t overly impressed, although you do have to remember that they are skating on a boat! Come fly with me was fantastic, the dive show was entertaining. We went to see the “love and marriage game” and ended up being one of the contestants! So much fun! We were also contestants on the quest, that was fun too. There was always something to do on the boat. My only complaint was that the pools were very crowded. We went into the solarium, but found it to be stifling, way too hot for our liking. The only chairs in the shade outside were around the perimeter of the pool, were everybody walked by. The promenade was always crowded too, and they were always trying to sell you something. The cruise director Tim, had more energy than anyone I have ever met! And, he was everywhere! The bars were nice, the piano bar had some great music. They had a jazz band one night. We didn’t take advantage of everything that was going on – it was exhausting! The Ports: Labadee We booked the kayak excursion in Labadee, it was hard work! Two people to a kayak, my husband did most of the work. They took you over to the “real” labadee, were they tried to sell you their stuff. They were somewhat aggressive, and the girls were a little intimidated. I found that as long as you told them a firm no, they didn’t bother you too much. Always barter, they will come down to about 1/3 of the price. The stalls all around the island were the same way, badgering you to come into them and buy. We bought a carved elephant, they started at $30, we paid $7. The water here was gorgeous, so clear, and the color was beautiful. There was a lot of sea grass, and it was very rocky. One of our boys got stung by a jelly fish, there were a lot of them around. A lot of people had the floating mats. You can float on your own in this water, it is very salty. The food the cruise line provided was good, and the lines were short. We went to Nelly’s beach, there were not too many people there. Jamaica We booked our own van here, Courtney Taylor tours. The guide “Crazy Dean” met us at the cruise ship and brought us to the blue hole and horseback riding. It is not the same horseback riding as the cruise. The blue hole has amazing, we stayed about an hour, the tour guide was awesome, (Dillon – I think), he took the kids behind the water fall, and through a cave. They jumped off the 21’ cliff, rope swing, smaller cliffs etc. The water was beautiful, a little cold until you get used to it. Bring water shoes, you will need them and they won’t let you in without them. The horseback riding was good, not great. They took you through some woods, and to the ocean, the horses waded through the water with you. That was my favorite part! The beach was dirty though. Each horse had a handler with them. It was thundering and lightening and my horse was spooked, the handler calmed her down and she was fine. We had a private van and he took us wherever we wanted, it was a long day and cost us about $90 a person, which included entrance to the blue hole, the horses, transport and the tips we gave to each person. Mexico We had gone to the presentation on shopping for Mexico the day before so they gave you a free taxi to the shops. We ended up winning the necklace from the raffle (a $390 value). We then got a taxi to sunset beach ($16 for six of us, would have been $8 if there were 4 or less), and rented snorkel equipment. $15 each, fins, mask, snorkel, and a life jacket for me. The water was crystal clear and we saw some cool fish. We had lunch there, it was good, and decent price. Every time you ordered a drink they brought you two! You could use the snorkel equipment for as long as you wanted. We walked back to the boat. General Overall the ship was fabulous, too many people! The promenade got very crowded, the windjammer too. Sometimes you had to wait to go in. But it wasn’t more than 10 or 15 minutes. There were other places to eat if you didn’t want to wait. I actually liked that they didn’t let you in if it was full, nothing worse than wandering around trying to find an empty table! The entertainment was good, food was good, staff AMAZING! We had a great time, and would certainly go back again.

Everything you need to know about Oasis of the Seas

General

shez34’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 16+
Get Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas price drops

Cabin was lovely, no need for an extension cord. We had plenty of room. The bed was comfortable. Our steward was very nice.
  Oasis of the Seas Deck Plans

• Snorkeling
    local beach, rented snorkel equipment for $15 per person, and a nice lunch there and relaxed.
    View All 436 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Horseback Riding
    Each horse had a handler, we treked through some streets, and a small wooded area to the beach. The beach was dirty, but the water was beautiful. Horses went into the water with us - that was my favorite part.
    View All 30 Horseback Riding Reviews
  • Irie Blue Hole
    Blue hole was awesome! Kids jumped off cliffs, rope swings, swimming, went in a cave etc. Guide was terrific. Spent just over an hour there.
    View All 56 Irie Blue Hole Reviews
  • Kayaking
    tour guide met us and gave us a quick introduction to kayaking. Took us to the real labadee. A small boat followed us and the crew took pictures.