3. Serenade of the Seas
We chose this cruise as my son has always wanted to see Eastern Europe. We were told to embark at 1030am which i was suprised at because it seemed quite early but were happy to go along with it. When we checked in we were given an empty folder pocket which apparently should have had a wifi code in but didnt, we should have had 2 drinks package stickers which we didnt and we got our coffee card which nobody pointed out was worthless because we had the drinks packages. on embarking the ship we found nothing really open, pools were shut and the windjammer wasnt open yet. We ate then went to see the cabin (1090). the room seemed in really good condition tbh, and i honestly didnt see any signs of obvious wear and tear. the sofa folded out into a futon which my 6ft 4 son found uncomfortable. When we got on we found no clue about setting up the wifi so just logged in presuming as we had paid this was ok. we also went to guest services to enquire about the dinner mystery show i had paid for. i said when i booked and paid i was told it was the first night. the guy assured me it was in estonia and it later changed to st. petersburg. so it changed 3 times in date, i was told there was no record of my booking twice (had paperwork on me with what i'd paid for). same with the drinks packages. until my paperwork was produced they denied all knowledge of my inclusive packages. in my opinion you should sack the entire guest services department. they dont do their job. as far as the 'adults only calm oasis to relax and unwind' pool seriously false advertising at its finest. it ended up with marauding packs of children in all three pools (apparently due to inclement weather unless adults wanted to swim before 12 (ummm excursions) or after 7 you could forget about anywhere to unwind and have a pleasant swim. the temperature outside during the day wasnt inclement, it was in the mid to late 20's which means that children could have used the pools with no bother whatsoever. and whats with the kids get the pool all afternoon thing. this seriously was a deal breaker to me, but i did try to swim in the solarium a few times, but after being jumped on (pool attendants not reminding people not to jump or dive, just staring into space), headbutted in the stomach twice by the same child, had a spanish boy literally thrown at me by his dad, was regularly kicked by unaccompanied children hanging off bridge in there i literally gave up with the swimming for my own safety. i did complain a few times, but it was just ignored. what i found inexcusable was a pool attendant singling out british people to shower before they entered the pool, whilst ignoring those from other nations who hadnt showered. i felt humiliated by this but just went along with things. we were turned away from the windjammer one day after a trip because there was no room. they wouldnt even let us in there. this meant that we had to go to park cafe and for 2 meals that day just eat snacks. this is inexcusable when there is literally nowhere else to get a meal on board. what would have been the effort in getting some hot plates and putting things like burgers, fries and a couple of other things by the pool letting those of us that wanted hot food eat something. this is a ship that would seriously benefit from splitting the pool bar in half and putting casual dining in the other half. we did try the movies under the stars the night we couldnt get into beauty and the beast in the cinema. but at night it was chilly. i know other cruise lines have crew dispensiing blankets and hot chocolate on these sort of occasions but nope, not this time so gave up. the tv on the room is basicaly 8 shows on a loop unless you want to pay $11.99 to rent a movie. although we dont spend loads of time in a room an hour relaxing always means its good to have tv. on our last day at sea we were spoiled for choiice between a movie about the turkish/armenian genocide, getting the crap kicked out of me in the pool again or going into the main theatre to see the cruise directors holidiay snaps he took in panama. really. we did laugh about the choice of movie since we had just watched a proud parade of 61 onboard nations (although they couldnt produce one union jack, but passed off a scottish flag as representing the united kingdom. so a movie inciting hatred against a nation seemed an odd choice. when we got the onboard account we were charged yet again for our prepaid internet, had tips taken twice and although the first day i had been to guest services and stated that i didnt want gratuities taken off for the dining staff as i didnt intend to eat in the main dining room it was taken off so i had over £300 unbudgeted removed from my account. on going on their facebook page and accusing them of piracy they did amend things. as far as the entertainment side of things goes i found it distinctly lacking. in the main theatre we had a maths guy, a show called velocity about music which was awful, the worst abba tribute band i've ever seen (from the pictures it looked like a bee gee / abba crossover, the cruise director and his band one night (the balancing act had his luggage go missing) and a 46 year old gymnast. we found that if you fully utilise your drinks package it makes it easier. the tribute to the musicals was stunning though. although it cost me a weeks wages the highlight of our cruise was the mystery dinner show. for families with teenagers it was so good. copious wine, nice food and we were all laughing at the end of the night. the actors were cheesy, came out with one liners totally off the cuff and made the night. the shore excursions we did were all royal caribbean ones ranging from dreadful (sweden by land and sea - boat portion couldnt hear anything then once on the bus the only thing we saw was the town hall), to absolutely brilliant estonia highlights (lovely older lady who knew so much and was mothering us the whole way round) to mega efficient (hermitage museum with gold room). and the free time in 3 places bus driver in helsinki was a real character who honestly was just as good if not better than a tour guide. on last night we had made a reservation with guest services for giovannis and were told there would be 25% off because of all the confusion over the dinner show. turned up and (what a suprise) giovanni had no record of our reservation or discount. i had also left my cabin steward tip with guest services but when i told the steward he said that he was unlikely to get it ???? honestly i really wanted to like this cruise, i had paid a fortune for things and just felt it came up totally lacking. with a bit of imagination like more casual dining, blankets for movie nights, better all round entertainment and a totally revamped guest services department this could be so much more. i had to pay a weeks wages for the dinner show, so for the date to be changed 3 times and being denied i had a reservation twice it trigged my IBS and for 3 nights i had crippling stomach pains with all the added stress. this coupled together with being headbutted in the stomach twice by children in the adults only pool i just felt badly let down for the amount of money i had paid. i would suggest anyone going on there takes copious proof of what they have paid for because you will need it.

NEVER HAVE I EXPERIENCED SUCH POOR ORGANISATION

Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by DISNEY CRUISE FAN

• Sail Date: August 2017
  • Destination: Europe
We chose this cruise as my son has always wanted to see Eastern Europe.

DISNEY CRUISE FAN’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas price drops

1090 we honestly found scrupulously clean, and no signs of aging at all. we did have an annoying scraping sound from above regularly most of the night which did disturb us.
  Serenade of the Seas Deck Plans