Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by sunshine221

• Sail Date: Jul 2017
  • Destination: the British Isles & Western Europe
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Class 2

We decided to arrive a day and a half before the cruise. We are three 59 year olds, one with mobility issues and a 83 year old who walks a little slow and needs help with luggage, etc. AMS is an easy airport to transfer but it is trickier if you are exiting here. There are multiple queues for various checks and then the walk to the baggage hall was very long. Finally for this group of 4, we decided to taxi to our hotel although if you can handle your own luggage the train is an option.

We stayed at the Morvanpick Center City which is in easy walking distance to the city and to the ship. Taxi fare was about 80Euros including tip (note for four, this is less than Celebrity's airport transfer). We arrived about 1pm and the hotel put o ur luggage in a storage closet while we went sightseeing.

On Sunday morning, we woke to basically seeing the ship out our window. It was an easy walk to the port and check in for our cruise on the Silhouette.

Celebrity requested that people arrive based on their deck. At noon, our traveling companions had a short line and we walked right in at the Concierge class registration. Alexander, the concierge, met us at the line queue and invited us to dine at a sit-down lunch. Since the rooms weren't quite ready, we were able to leave our luggage at the dining room entrance. By 2pm it was announced that most rooms were ready

• Cabin 1126. C2 Deck 10 This cabin, as well as most of the ship is showing signs of wear and tear - towels were frayed, vinyl chair cover peeling, couch was sagging. Examples around the ship included frayed menu covers and older style lounge chairs around the swimming pools. Also some technology with the photo department is behind other ships, also some gym equip not working. On the positive side, we were a little concerned at first about the slanted to the rear balcony but we loved it - we were near stairs/elevators and the position of the balcony resulted in less wind, etc

Cruise Director and Staff. Compared to my last few cruises, this staff seemed well organized and there was a good level of participation. It was nice to have native English speakers leading trivia and while I couldn't participate, the dance classes looked like fun. The bands and musical entertainers were pleasant to listen to the hypnotist and topic speakers were well attended. My main critique here is that the Sky lounge usually works better for trivia than Ensemble lounge.

Other common areas of ship. On other ships, the solarium pool was adutlts only. For some reason this ship designated 5-7 where the children to use it. This is usually my personal time to exercise before dinner and basically I was made to feel unwelcome. Children were also using hot tubs which should be forbidden.

Cruise Critic - the sail away event was moved to the heliport by Celebrity - while a nice place to visit - it did not give us the opportunity to talk and mingle. Also the Celebrity sponsored party was in Central, also not great for mingling.

WATCH OUT - Celebrity is encouraging prepurchase of things like internet and photo packages. I feel I was ripped off because while I got a discount - my Captain's Club discount would have been more. My husband and I both complained and the staff didn't understand what we were saying.

Also I had to have my card replaced several times probably because of my apple watch even though I tried to keep them away from each other.

sunshine221's Full Rating Summary

Concierge Class 2
Cabin C2 1126

Aging cabin interior - needs refurbishing

sunshine221