• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

2-5 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Jul 2017
Cabin: Deluxe Ocean View with Verandah 2B
Traveled with children

This was my first Cruise with Celebrity. I previously cruised with Regency, Regent, Disney and Norweigen. This was a graduation gift to my 17-1/2 yr old Granddaughter. I do not normally travel in the summer but because of my granddaughter's schedule this was the only week we could go. The cruise started & ended in Rome. We flew to Rome 3 days before the cruise date to tour (private/semi private) the City, Amalfi Coast & Pompeii. Embarking went smoothly but we did arrive early. Our rooms were ready by 1pm. Lovely room/bathroom. Unfortunately we travelled in intense heat every day, the heatwave Europe called "Lucifer", except for the next to last day when it was cloudy. Embarkation went very smoothly.The PROS: Excellent food & Service in the Dining Room. Wait staff also great & attentive. The Buffet was also good. Room attendant wonderful & beds/linens changed 2x a day. I had a free "Perk" of the Beverage Package which included liquor up to $9 per item. After that you paid the difference. No limit to how many drinks could you consume a day (mine were a max of 2 a day).CONS: Not enough to do on sea days especiallly for children/teens. My granddaughter did not join their teen club. Constant selling of jewelry & art work/auctions. Went to seminar on detox but of course they were selling product. One guest asked if we could a discount on product and/or services in spa and we were told we could. However, when I paid for product was now told there was no discount. Very small game room with 4 interactive tables & 2 regular tables. Game pieces missing. Shows were hit & miss. Comic had some inappropriate material which he should have used for his "late night-adult" showThere were 600 children, many of them tweens, running wild at night slamming balcony doors, etc. Shore excursions hit & miss, however the guides were knowledgeble. I booked early enough that I got 2 "perks" free: Gratuities & Beverage Package. However did not get the Internet package and was told it would cost me $10 to print out my boarding pass on day of departure. This should have been waived as I booked my flight with their suggested Choice Air compay.Absolutely no pay out in slots. I asked for slushy for my granddaughter at the pool bar & was told it would be extra charge because her package did not incude it - I thought that was ridiculous. We took a photo getting on the ship the first day. The next day when they were posted in the Photo area, I asked if I could purchase a smaller size for $15 & they said yes. However, when I went back to purchase it the day before we embarked, I was told only photos taken getting of the ship were $15. When I complained I was told I would have to take it up with the person I spoke to on the 2nd day of the Cruise which of course after 9 days I could not remember. I paid the $25 for one 8 x 10 & then went to Guest Relations to complain, who after waiting 30 minutes, did only charge me $15. My bill showed a charge for items in the refrigerator which we never touched & am waiting for Celebrity to get back to me.

Suggest private tours to Florence & Nice where small cars/van can get closer to main attractions, otherwise buses forced to park 1/2 mile away. We booked a semi-private tour of Amalfi Coast & Pompeii & private tour of Colleseum/Ancient Rome/Catacombs. Pricey but was picked up at hotel. Well worth the money. I would travel again with Celebrity but bring plenty of books to amuse myself with during sea days & scrutinize every charge on the bill.

Deluxe Ocean View with Verandah 2B