3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
We used this cruise for transportation, not a vacation, not a geriatric prom, not a chance to buy stuff or gamble. Others cruise for other reasons. I get that. Three formal nights on a seven day cruise is excessive. Dress code for the dining room on non-formal nights is a little stuffy. I'm OK with no shorts or even no jeans, but requiring a jacket is unnecessary. The cabin was nice. The bathroom was larger than on other cruises we have been on. Especially the shower. The sheltered balcony was fine. Food was OK, but other cruises were better. The wait staff was wonderful and made great efforts to accommodate my wife's food allergies. In fact all the staff were wonderful. Entertainment was so-so, and the theater is awkwardly designed and has seating issues. The Times lectures were nice. And the on deck activities were hampered by the weather. No fault of Cunard. This was scheduled to be straight across no stops, but one day out the captain announced an unscheduled stop in Halifax to drop off an ill passenger. He said that it would not affect our arrival time in Southampton. We would make up the time by going faster. I was anxious at first about our flight connections but the captain was true to his word. The passenger was dropped off in Halifax and we made Southampton right on time. I applaud this. If I were that sick passenger, I would appreciate being dropped off rather than enduring five and a half more days at sea to get medical help. Bravo Cap'n. Would I sail the QM2 again. Reluctantly yes, but only if it was our only choice. Of course it would mean a trip to the Oxfam to pick up another black jacket. Cheers!

Geriatric Prom in Dense Fog