3. Volendam
We were very pleased with our cruise. I did a lot of researching before we chose this trip, and we were very happy with our decision. We were a little concerned before leaving as Holland American emailed us to say embarkation would be later than usual as they were doing heavy disinfecting due to a higher than normal number of cases of Norovirus on the current trip. However, we had no issues on our trip, and I was impressed with their honesty. The ship was on the smaller size which suited us fine as we were not needing things like rock climbing or pool slides. We did appreciate the retractable roof in the Lido area. Very pleased with our inside cabin, as mentioned below. We chose open dining which worked out perfect for us. We thought we would have dinner in the main dining room each night, however sometimes after looking at the menu, we chose to eat at the buffet. We were very impressed with the Lido buffet, Lots of choices, tasty and can't say enough about the staff. Very friendly and so accommodating. We watched the main entertainment each evening, which had its ups and downs. Entertainment is probably HAL's weakness. The HAL singers/dancers were pretty good and we really liked the comedian. We are not big fans of magic shows, but he had a couple of good acts. There was one evening when they showed a film from BBC of Alaska's wildlife with the HAL band in the background. I don't really think anybody was impressed, and this was not what you would expect for main entertainment. It would have been fine in the movie theatre, We would also have liked to see some live entertainment by the pool. I did enjoy some of the trivia shows and the Windows 10 workshops. Be prepared for the usual ploys for more money, for example: photos, artwork, jewellry, alcohol, gambling, future trips and even foot supports. For excursions, we went whale watching in Juneau, and dog mushing in Skagway. Both were excellent. The ports were okay. Typical tourist shops and expensive jewellery. There were many opportunities to see wildlife both on our excursions and just off the ship. We saw Humpback & Orca Whales, Sea Otters, Stellar Sea Lions, Bald Eagles and jumping salmon. The scenery was truly breathtaking especially in Glacier Bay. I was really happy I chose to bring my binoculars. Overall, an amazing trip, What stands out the most is the excellent service from the staff (especially in our stateroom and the Lido buffet) and the wonderful views.

Delightful Alaskan Cruise

Dusty Rose69’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Volendam price drops

Large Interior Stateroom
Cabin J 2851
We found the size of the room was perfect for two, especially after we asked for the beds to be separated. The comfort of the beds was what we expected. Washroom was a decent size, and impressed with the shower. There was tons of storage. We looked forward each evening to see what our towel animal would be. The location of the room was excellent and very quiet. We do not regret choosing an inside cabin, as many said it was a bit cold to sit out on the balconies in the evening, and we were happy to sit in many of the public areas to observe the views.
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins