3. Majestic Princess
We were originally booked on a Panama and Alaska cruises but due to problems with visas had to cancel and re-book the Mediterranean. This caused a few problems with transferring of deposits which were originally refused but nicely resolved by Princess in Sydney (thanks). The ship was almost new. I think it had done 2 or 3 cruises before ours which we joined in Barcelona. Biggest criticism was the cruise was presented as a 28 day cruise but in fact was 4 x 7 day back-to-back cruises. Essentially it was like the movie 'Groundhog Day' with 4 balloon drops, 4 champagne waterfall, 4 captains circle functions and same food menus every 7 days, same shows, movies etc. - you get the picture. Thankfully only one muster drill. Food in the dining room was nice (but repetitive on a 7 day cycle). Wait staff were professional, engaged and generally excellent. Personally, I have never been a fan of buffets (on or off the water), so I can't say much more other than 'adequate'. Organisation of the stations and layout was somewhat confusing and always seemed to have at least one section closed/changing over. Dinner in the Crown Grill (a freebie from the travel agent) was nice but I do have an aversion to paying for 'specialty' restaurants on a ship. Balcony cabin on deck 15 was nice and fairly similar to others across most of the Princess fleet. Obviously new furniture, fittings etc. Everything worked OK for the full 28 days. Cabin steward mostly unseen who kept everything in tip-top shape. We ran into several staff/crew from previous Princess cruises who had been transferred to the new ship to assist a lot of 'newer' crew on the ship's (eventual) passage and home porting to Asia. It was nice to be recognised by crew from cruises 12-18 months previously. There were no port lectures (which we usually enjoy). Apparently they were due to start a couple of weeks after we were leaving the ship. As for entertainment, there really wasn't much of it and hope it was only a teething/new ship thing. The shows we did see were incredibly loud - almost painful. I suggest a set of travel ear plugs - they work wonders! The Vista lounge seemed a very wasted and mostly empty space. Full of mah-jong tables that seem to make seating difficult if/when something was on in the lounge. Not too many people seemed interested in the 'high-end' boutique stores. The bars they replaced were missed as it took away from the 'cruising' feel of the ship. We did a lot of ship shore tours. These are always expensive (not unique to the Majestic or Princess). Most were long days but enjoyable. Ports in Turkey were cancelled due to regional 'unrests' which led to multiple visits to the some ports and deletion of Malta, however we had plenty of notice (pre-cruise) and could organise accordingly. Embarkation and disembarkation were excellent with minimal waits. Overall, an average cruise which I hope will get better as teething problems are sorted. I will make sure about the 4x7 next time as it detracted from the overall experience

Average cruise - hope the 'teething' problems get resolved

Majestic Princess Cruise Review by ianandjudy

• Sail Date: April 2017
  • Destination: Europe

Embarkation and disembarkation were excellent with minimal waits.

ianandjudy’s Full Rating Summary