3. Celebrity Summit
My wife and I are in our early 50s and have only been on one cruise before this one to Bermuda. We did not enjoy our first experience cruising (Carnival) at all but decided to give it another chance when we saw this great deal to sail on the Summit out of NJ. After we booked, I found CruiseCritic. To be very honest, I became extremely nervous after reading many of the reviews. I read that the ship was old and worn out. That it would be very obvious seeing all of this everywhere on the ship. Yes, I did see rust and some wear on tear on just not the body of the ship, but also on the furnishings and other items. Did it bother me? Nah! It did not impact me in any way shape or form as it didn't have an effect except on the eyes...not on the comfort. Next, I heard that almost all the clientele were senior citizens and that all the entertainment would be geared towards that age group. I guess that since we sailed during school summer break, our age groups were greatly varied. We had tons of children, teenagers, and every adult age imaginable. We enjoyed having conversations with the different age groups as well. I also heard that activities were few and far between on the ship. Yes, Carnival offered more in this department...but found the quality better on Celebrity. I was never bored during the sailing days and always found something to do. The shows each evening were fantastic. They had two silent discos (look them up)... had some passengers rolling their eyes, but everyone who took part had a great time. They had game shows, trivia contests, activities at the pool each day...plenty to do. There was also a band or DJ at many different locations on the ship at different times. We enjoyed getting a drink and just mellowing out listening to some tunes. Other positives include fantastic service...almost everyone was very personable and friendly. Only once or twice did I encounter a staff member without being very pleasant. Even at guest services, I had two encounters that went very well. Another positive was the food in the MDR for dinner. We ate there each evening and the food was even better than expected...was worth dressing up a bit. I did not like the MDR for breakfast as I found most of their selections not to be tasty at all. We did better in the buffet. We had an outside view cabin and it was sufficient for our needs. I do wish that there were more than two outlets (both were on the same panel in the same corner of the room). We also only saw our room steward once the entire trip. TV worked fine and I slept fine on the bed. My only negatives are that the buffet was extremely underwhelming as they had all the same options each day. Would have liked to see them change it up a bit. The pool does get crowded and I do agree with other reviewers that something has to be done about reserving loungers then not coming back. Lastly, the disembarkation back in NJ took a terribly long time. We sat in a bar/lounge for over two hours before having our number called. Oops...one more thing. I am a huge fan of cookies and other baked goods...the cookies are free at the buffet and Al Bacio...but just weren't that tasty...gotta fix that!! So be careful in reading all the negative reviews. Some on our ship were unhappy as I heard one zenith suite passenger remark that he hopes that the ship sinks to the ocean floor that it is so bad. I guess if you desire a superior, luxury experience...this will not happen on this ship. If you are seeking a relaxing stay with great service...you will probably enjoy it as much as we did.

Great Trip!

PokerFaceNJ’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Summit price drops

Ocean View 5
Cabin 05 3003
Tiny...but suitable to our needs. Large window kept the room sunlit. TV worked fine and I slept easily on the bed each evening. Long walk for us to many places as the room is not midship at all, but we valued the extra exercise.
Deck 3 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins