Magellan Cruise Review

From nowhere to nowhere else

Magellan Cruise Review by LevenBob

• Sail Date: Jul 2017
  • Destination: the British Isles & Western Europe

I chose this ship because she was sailing from Dundee (not on this websites list of ports) to Iceland,the Faroes ,Orkney and Shetland (again not on this website's radar). That in itself was a mistake because the cruise had started in Newcastle and we had a day sailing back there, plus a day berthed opposite a mountain of scrap iron before we got back to Dundee. The staff are attentive but there are only ten native English speakers in a crew of 558 .The majority are from the Ukraine and their personalities were forged under Communism.

The ship is greedy. We paid over £4500 for the twelve days but (a) it was forbidden to take alcohol aboard and it cost £2.20 for a bottle of unknown Welsh water in our cabin. Drinks were very dear. The food was good but too artistically presented for our liking. Two or three squiggles of green and red jam round a hard boiled egg sized mound of whatever.

The ship may have had a refit but the tenders hadn't. Noisy and smelly. One pair of lifts didn't work throughout the trip.

A crew only safety drill was announced and passengers were told ,several times to ignore it. However during it I needed to get to our cabin for medication. All the bulkhead doors were closed. I had to go from deck 9 to 11 and up and down stairs to eventually find reception where I was told that drills like this went on in ships all over the world every day and that he,the receptionist was the only one on duty and could not leave his post. I told him that if I dib not get to my cabin he would have a real emergency . With ill grace he took us to it.

LevenBob's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Premium twin 7121

We were in 7121 but it was horrifyingly noisy at night. We complained and,despite a notice that the ship was full,we were moved to 7114. If anything it was worse. By then we hard heard others complaining of the bangs,clangs groans and grunts that were everywhere.

LevenBob