3. Celebrity Summit
I sailed with my family and some friends for the first time on the Summit in late July. We've sailed on Norwegian and Carnival before, and enjoyed them very much. We wanted to try Celebrity this time because we've heard of their "premium food" and "classy ambiance"; though we couldn't really tell why people said it. The Bayonne port is quite nice. It was quiet and moved much quicker than the New York ports, which could be because of our half an hour before departure arrival. Our first reaction looking at the ship was that it shows its age. The ship is smaller than the newer cruise ships and the paint is showing wear, but nonetheless is well kept. I agree with another reviewer- there wasn't any sailing away party and barbecue! Disappointing. Albeit, it is understandable because half the quests were over 50 and probably didn't want to hear all the commotion. The cabin was well kept, though old, but still enjoyable. See below for more details. The food was disappointing. It seems like the food was either a hit or miss. Usually the the protein is very well done on cruise ships, but on this ship it was occasionally bland. The pastries were as expected on a cruise ship: in need of improvement but good in the dining room. The buffet was average at best- not the best quality of cooking nor the best quality food. It did not have a large variety, which I understand because most of the people (meaning, the elderly) like eating in dining rooms and restaurants. There are a few foods vital for a cruise to have good food: french fries, ice cream, and pizza. The french fries tasted better outside by the pool than indoors, The ice cream was lumpy, half melted, and too sweet. The pizza was fine (nothing can beat NY pizza!). Plus, imagine my surprise when I saw there wasn't a 24 hour grill! Psh. In the dining room, the food was alright and portions were just right. Except for the dessert- the dessert made us all bloated. Still tasted good. The entertainment is better than Norwegian's. I didn't care for the comedy acts nor the magician very much. The latter I liked, but one of the tricks didn't go as planned. The musicals were fine. We saw some mistakes like a dancer coming on early and then retreating back behind the curtain. Yikes. Lou Gazzara sounded good and his stage presence is impeccable. Other activities included trivia and pool games. They were as you would expect on every other cruise. One thing I did like was the gym- it was located in a quiet corner of the ship and really allowed you to relax. If there is one thing that was absolutely excellent on the Summit, it is the service. All crew members try their best to please you and accomodate your needs. (Exception of the security crew when you come off the ship to Bermuda. They need more smiles in their day. When I thought I lost something at the security checkpoint, they waved me off and ignored me even though I was so obviously in panic mode. While they are not responsible for my actions, they could've at least asked another coworker or something. Something other than rolling their eyes and scoffing "no".) Other than them, everybody was so nice! From our housekeeper Nato to our waiters Hein and Michael in the Cosmo, we felt that they wanted to help us. Of course, their job relies on the guests and our reviews, so it could've been for just that, but it is still appreciated! We left a hefty tip for them on the last day. Bermuda is quaint. Truly, the houses are all different colors and riding through the country is like being the countryside. Rent a scooter for a 100 dollars from 12 pm to the next day's 12 pm to get a breathtaking ride through the place. While it is pricey, it's worth it if you like the exploration part of travel. Ride all the way down to St George from the dockyard to see every little sight. Grab a map to know where to stop. Beware if you want to see the Crystal Caves via scooter! The aquarium closes early (I think around 5:30. Double check that). There's a bunch of opportunities to jetski. Book quickly! They run out quickly, as I came to know the hard way. Going to Horseshoe Bay is must when in Bermuda. There's a bunch of towering rocks that are good for diving, if you're in that kind of thing. Beware of your position diving though (feet first!) it can hurt like a mother if you land in any other way. Jump at your own risk too, the rocks can be unforgiving. If you're an adrenaline junkie, then it's the place for you. The sand is indeed pink. Scoop some up with your hand to see the small pink rocks. Quite adorable. Take the number 7 bus by following the green footsteps when you step into the port. It's 4.50 with token and also a reduced fare for children. 5 dollars by cash. You can buy tokens at the visitors' center. We didn't sign up for any shore excursions and truthfully, you don't need to. The ship's offers are usually overpriced and you can do more on your own schedule. Follow the green footsteps to Snorkle Park Beach for some fishie views. It's not the nicest or biggest beach, but it's certainly the most convenient. There were teens in our group, and while none of us went to the teen club, we saw many of them in groups enjoying activities together, so check that out if you want. This cruise may not be ideal for younger children because of the lack of activities, but then again, some children don't like that sort of stuff anyway. A major, MAJOR problem on this cruise was the swaying. Oh lord, my family got very seasick, and we've never gotten seasick on previous cruises. Even the crew members had trouble walking and commented on the rocky seas. It did rain on our journey, and there were a few thunderstorms. Not a big deal, except for the swaying. Bring ginger or cough drops to help with that. Phew! What a long review. While I complained a lot about the cruise, there were a lot of good things about it. Beautiful Bermuda for one (go to the Bahamas if you want nicer beaches), and just the experience of being in the vast ocean. It was a rocky experience, but still a stressless vacation spent laughing with family and friends. I wouldn't go again, but you should still try it! The weather was just bad this time. Go on Norwegian if you like the more party and food based ambiance.

Rocky Trip But Still a Vacation to Remember

Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by mcreached

• Sail Date: July 2017
  • Destination: Bermuda

mcreached’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get Celebrity Summit price drops

Our room was on the second floor, around the back of the ship. While the carpet and walls showed age as well, our stateroom housekeeper Nato tried his very best to upkeep everything. In fact, he tried to please us as best as he could, from bringing more chocolate and remembering our names. Perhaps that is standard behavior but much appreciated still. One pesky problem was our TV. For some reason we had to press the same button on the remote several times until the TV responds- and sometimes our screen did not receive channels. I know it had to be just our room's problem because my family's other room's TV was fine. I informed our housekeeper multiple times and he apologized for the mechanic that apparently hadn't shown up. It got better in the end, because of the mechanic or time, I don't know. The mattress was a little too soft my taste, but it was acceptable. We chose our cabin specifically for its deck placement. When you get rooms on the lower floors, you don't feel the ship rocking as much. Good tips :)
  Celebrity Summit Deck Plans