3. Silver Muse
Embarkation from the port in Athens was remarkably smooth and fast. We were among the very first passengers there which probably helped. We went to the pool deck for lunch and it wasn't too long before we were allowed to go to our suite. Luggage took a little while to arrive, but not an unacceptable amount of time. The ship is pristine. Our silver suite on deck 10 was extremely comfortable. A very pleasant sitting room with balcony, bedroom with comfortable bed & beautiful bed linen. A very spacious walk in robe with ample hanging space and hangers plus cupboard space. We had a lot of luggage and were able to unpack and put away everything. The bathroom is beautiful. A seperate toilet, huge shower and spa bath and double sinks in a well equipped vanity. Our butler and cleaner were both lovely people and extremely helpful. I have read a lot of criticism about the lack of a communal dining room on the Muse and also difficulty getting into the restaurants. I can't agree. It was my first cruise so I have no experience of the communal dining room. We only pre booked a restaurant for the first night. After that we would speak to our butler each morning and tell him which restaurant we would like for that evening, it was never a problem. We did dine ashore on a couple of occasions. The service in all the restaurants we tried was excellent and the food very good. The only problem I had was at breakfast in La Terraza where the service was sometimes a bit distracted and haphazard. We spent a lot of time on the pool deck as the weather during our cruise was extremely hot. The pool is beautiful and filled with salt water so there isn't that awful chlorine smell. The service around the pool was excellent and it was great to be able to simply move from your lounge bed to a table for lunch. We didn't take part in any shore excursions. They all started early in the morning and we are not early morning people. We would go ashore when it suited us and either wander around or get a taxi to a specific location. For example on Santorini, I chose a beach which was about 20 minutes in a taxi from the port. It was great, well equipped with waiters providing drinks and food & it was lovely to be able to swim in the Med and we simply told the taxi driver when to return to pick us up & he was there right on time. We did a similar thing when we got to Taormina. We did go to the casino, which is very small but perfectly adequate, but not to any of the after dinner entertainment, it simply didn't appeal to us. I did use the Spa for a facial, massage and manicure. The facial was very disappointing with half hour taken trying to convince me (unsucessfully) to have some extremely expensive anti aging treatments. The massage was excellent, although at the end I was talked into buying several hundred dollars worth of product I really didn't want. I was so relaxed after the massage she could have sold me a house. The manicure was perfectly adequate although expensive compared to what I get in Sydney. Disembarking in Rome was again easy although I must admit I didn't expect to have to leave quite so early (cabin vacated by 8.30am) and having your luggage picked up the night before is a nuisance as all the toiletries you need for the morning plus your nightwear then have to be carried with you. Would I go on the Muse again? Definitely if the itinerary was different. I didn't like the concept of a different port each day. There really is no time for anything but a very superficial look at each destination. If there were fewer ports but several days in each one I would happily travel on this ship again.

Quick Look at the Greek Islands

Silver Muse Cruise Review by Salpenbrig

• Sail Date: July 2017
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Silver Suite 1

We had a lot of luggage and were able to unpack and put away everything.

Our butler and cleaner were both lovely people and extremely helpful.

Salpenbrig’s Full Rating Summary