3. Emerald Sun
Had a great week with Emerald Sun- Our ship was changed right at the last minute from the the Emerald Sky, because of water levels in the Danube being low. After looking at Emeralds website the ships are the same ?? We were a group of six my mum and dad, who are in their 80's and not great on their pins, and dad is partially sighted. We hired two wheelchairs so they could be part of the holiday, otherwise they had intended to stay on board while my brother and his wife, and myself and my husband went of the excursions The boat is lovely lots of glass and mirrors and decorated throughout to a very high standard. The rooms are also lovely, with a great shower, comfy beds. Big picture windows that are floor to ceiling make the room feel spacious. The food is good, breakfast had the usual- hot, cold, cheese, cold meat, cereals, juice, porridge, pastries, bread and lots more. Lunch was buffet- always a joint/meat carved for you, selection of veg or salad, and desserts. Evening meal was waiter service- four course 5/6 on gala nights, not huge portions but is very beautifully served and if you want more just ask. It not like the sea cruises where its pile it high food. Would have been nice to have a small buffer in the late evening, just cheese and biscuits sort of thing. Evening entertainment is limited- The piano guy was very good, just a tad loud to hold a conversation in the lounge, but unfortunately there is no where else to go, other then the pool area, which has seating in the evening,, but is silent. Could do with an alternative lounge, or keep the piano down a bit until its later and dance time. The excursions where all good-and they accommodated the wheelchairs and always had a slower walking group. Lovely German Villages. Amsterdam was a treat, Cologne very interesting, and the villages full of cuckoo clock houses, some dating back to 1200's. My one disappointed was that after we had left Cologne, we had no sun deck, an area on the top of the boat with deck chairs etc. Such a shame, no where on the paper work does it say that this has to happen because of the low bridges on the Main river, it made the out side space very limited. And if you stayed on the boat you had to fight for an out side seat, or seat in your room, or by the pool. Sitting in the pool area was nice as it has glass on 3 sides so good panoramic views, but when its warm, out side would be better. They should tell you this is the case. The pool itself was a lovely little feature, small but with a jet to swim against if you wanted it, nice loungers, coffee machine, very pleasant after walking around on a hot day. Service was excellent- everyone was very attentive, nothing was to much trouble anywhere on the boat. We had a drinks package which was great, a coke otherwise is 3.40 euro's. I think Emerald are offering packages now as standard. We had assistance booked at both airports going out and back because of Mum and Dad, going out was very good, but very busy, having our own wheelchairs was a god send , otherwise we would have had to wait up to an hour for assistance! Coming home Munich Airport- no assistance was forthcoming as they said they had no record of it, but we could wait, again anything up to an hour and a half, .which time the flight should have been boarding, as we where stuck in a bit of traffic We went through using our wheelchairs instead but we were the very last people to check in, so we ended up seating all over the plan - not a big deal for four of us but my parents need help- any way as the BA flight only take card and my dad had them- we had made sure mum had cash to get a drink on the flight- but she didn't have a drink or anything- they are both diabetic- this is not a good thing. Any way they where fine just thirsty. All in all a great holiday with just a few niggles. Emerald cruise line is very good. I am 50 and felt it was for slightly older people, but never the less very enjoyable.

Very Tranquil