3. Viking Sea
I chose this cruise specifically for the itinerary. Since it was a relocation cruise, this itinerary was only offered once. A weather issue caused us to miss one port which was a disappointment, but of course could not be avoided. In A Corona we missed the excursion I was most looking forward to because of a marathon that was occurring in the city. This marathon occurs every year at this time; thus Viking should have been prepared and not posted excursions that could not occur. We brought my mother-in-law and sister-in-law with us on this trip. I had raved about Viking's ship, service, and planning. They had preferred another cruise line. This mix up was embarrassing and disappointing. Another example of poor planning was disembarkation. We had an extension to Iceland, but the rest of our family did not. Since we were on the extension, Viking would not allow us to disembark with the rest of our family that was not going on the extension. There was no reason for this since their disembarkation time put all of us at the airport with plenty of time to catch flights. Adding salt to the wound, when my husband and I arrived at the Bergen airport, it was so early that the airport facility was not even able to take our bags yet. We were told we would need to wait in the check in area for two hours before we could drop off our bags and proceed through security. This was not the airport's fault but Viking's. Since this area is not designed for waiting, there were very few seats and many of us standing around. Eventually, the airport began taking our bags as it was getting very crowded. Then we discovered that our flight was delayed which is not Viking's fault but added additional waiting time to depart in a small airport with little to do. If Viking is going to continue to do these early drop offs, they need to coordinate better with the receiving airports. Also, we had arranged ahead of time to have a cake delivered to my husband on his 50th birthday. Somehow they got the date wrong and delivered it on the day of embarkation (10 days early) and ruining the surprise. Finally, I had communicate previous to boarding that I am a vegetarian. I double checked with the restaurants on the day we embarked that they had this information,and they did not. I supplied it again. Went we went to the restaurants for our first reservations, again neither of them were aware of this status. I do not know how to communicate my needs more fully. I will say, after some fuss saying they had not been notified, my needs were always accommodated and we had many lovely dinners at both Manfredi's and The Chef's Table. My final complaint is with the Los Angeles office. There was a computer glitch with both booking excursions and booking spa services. Eventually the excursion glitch was fixed, but the inability to book some of the spa services was never fixed. I notified Viking via phone calls and emails directly to costumer service, but the problem was never addressed. Fortunately, we had early embarkation, and I was able to get my desired services by booking in person with the spa. The most upsetting issue with the Los Angeles office was being supplied with incorrect information. We had booked a private tour in Paris and needed to get off the bus that brings "on your own" excursion folks to Paris prior to the included bus tour. We were told this was possible only to learn once we were on the ship that it was not. We had to scramble to change times and locations meeting our guide. It all ended up working out but not without plenty of anxiety and inconveniencing other people on the bus. Our room was wonderful. We had had the exact same room (Explorer Suite 3001) on the Viking Star a year previous. It is spacious and very comfortable. We had a very nice room service dinner there for my husband's birthday. We were well cared for throughout our journey. We were aware that this Suite is a bit noisy from docking noises with ropes and anchors, so it did not surprise us, but others should be notified of this prior to booking this Suite. I know I have listed numerous irksome complaints. This does not mean that we did not enjoy our trip or that we will not continue to travel with Viking. It just means that our previous cruise was a 5 and this one was a 4 or 4.5. Indeed, we booked our first river cruise while on this trip. I am sharing these complaints because I think they can be easily addressed, so that Viking can continue to give 5 star service.

Great Itinerary