3. Carnival Legend
Embarkation was fine, we paid for "faster to the fun". We have sailed Carnival 3 times before, and on this class of ship - but in order to get on more quickly and a smoother process, you now have to pay a fee. Ship is OK in appearance, no more garish or flashy than any other Carnival ship in this class/age range, but it definitely needs dry docking for some maintenance to its appearance and for other issues, which I will discuss later. Cabin was spacious and well equipped, but bathroom was not clean. I did call the room steward and ask her for clean and a rag, and she apologized and said she was not allowed to give me one. Please note, our cabin steward was lovely, and I do not hold this against her. I saw she was assigned to too many cabins, and probably had time only to do her best with a full linen refresh and a cursor surface cleaning. I us hot water, washcloths and purell and cleaned the reaming filmy dirt off the sink and shelves before use. Cabin was enough space and beds were comfortable for the four of us with 2 pull down beds for my daughters. Dining Room was great in that the serviers Nichol and I-Putu at table 187 in Truffles early seating were amazing. They went above and beyond to ensure that my gluten free daughter did not get sick on the trip and brought her menus each night to order ahead. We did not do as well in the Lido at first, it took a few days before they understood and got us a chef to talk to, and even then were sometimes confused. Also, Lido food was very repetitive and chinese food was very greasy and spicy. Stuck to the continental proteins, salad bar and veggies, fresh fruit. As for entertainment, the staff and cruise director did a LOT of work to give cruisers activities, trivia, clue glane, etc. but there was just too much time at sea and not enough in port, esp in Ketchikan and Victoria, which was a poorly disguised fuel and food/supply stop for 3 hours on a monday night when everything in that city is closed. Even the bathrooms on fisherman's wharf were closed!!!! Carnival needs to redo this itinerary (after dry docking the ship for safety issues) to replace victoria with another port or extend to give more time there. Shows were good, we all enjoyed the motown, 70s and 80s shows and the ensemble of 8 sang and danced their hearts out. I did notice one female lead did most of the solos and the best dancer, a shorter dark haired young lay had none, I would have liked to see them mix it up a bit with who gets the leads for some variety. Also their make lead singer was not the strongest. Service was always good, again, I feel the lido and cabin staff were overstretched and thus noticed cleaniliness issues at table on the lido as well. also, interestingly, I would have bought a brink here and there for fun, but was never approached as I have been on past cruises, again, likely a staffing issue. Now for my largest concern. SAFETY. I have sailed this class of ship (Miracle 2x) and much of the inner passage was very calm water, yet felt a trememndous amount of rocking, unusually so. Additionally, the boat listed significantly while we were cruising to Victoria. There was a HUGE mechanical noise and then water was POURING OUT OF THE POOLS to one side of the ship as it tilted. I thought we were going to have to muster or tip over before we could muster, and I had to hold it together and act clam for the kids. The cruise director (after looking concerned and making off to the bridge appropriately and rapidly to assess the situation) gave a message to all over the PA that all was well. I then found out afterwards that this has happened SEVERAL TIMES ON THIS SHIP, once even worse than this. WHY IS THIS SHIP STILL SAILING? I could not sleep that night and really did not blame the cruise director, she was surely advised by higher ups at carnival to make little of all of this, but my research online shows this is a known issue is azipod or propulsion or both.

Safety A Concern

Carnival Legend Cruise Review by 2jhalpern

• Sail Date: July 2017
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony
2jhalpern’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Legend price drops

• Whales, Bears and Glaciers
    Ours was actually called Whales and Rainforest Trails but took us to the view of Mendenhall glacier and was AMAZING. Chelsea from Gastineau tours did this for Carnival and they even had Gluten Free snacks for rachel. We saw whales and sea lions and bald eagles and even seals in the harbor. CHelsea is an accomplished naturalist and we learned so much from her. Highly recommend!!!!!
    View All 52 Whales, Bears and Glaciers Reviews
  • Totem Bight State Park
    Since our poor tour guide only had a few hours with us, (not enough time in Ketchikan - we only docked from 7 ish to noon) we may have gotten more out of this port with more time
    View All 96 Totem Bight State Park Reviews
  • Seattle
    we stayed for 3 nights in Seattle before our cruise. Great city to explore, no need for an excursion.
    View All 788 Seattle Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Seattle Cruise Port Review
  • Yukon Van Tour
    Got great pics of the yukon but did not get to Emerald Lake because of KNOWN construction potential issues. Also saw NO wildlife and tour site mentioned spotting various wildlife. The mid day lunch stop at Caribou Crossing, to our family, was a tourist trap and we did not get any real time or interaction with the sled dogs or really learn about it, it was more touristy than a real traditional mushers camp. Our guide was lovely, and it wasnt her fault, but I would recommend families book a tour that maybe doesn't go as deep into the yukon but does NOT go to caribou crossing and waste time there. Also I would check in advance with any tour to confirm whether construction may "derail" some of your plans, because most of these port cities in Alaska have ONE highway in and the same one out, so any construction or anything can affect your plans and may make you want to change things.
    View All 117 Yukon Van Tour Reviews
  • Victoria
    cruise ship was refueling and loading supplie son the entire time we were there, on a MONDAY night from 7:30-8 pm by the time they cleared to let us off until 11 pm. NOTHING was open, unless you wanted to drink in a bar, which you can do on the ship. Even many of the fishermans wharf shops and the public restrooms were closed. Ridiculous.
    View All 1,230 Victoria Cruise Port Reviews