Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by ILOVEMYLAB

• Sail Date: Jul 2017
  • Destination: the Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Grand Suite

This was our 4th Royal Caribbean Cruise and we had a great time as usual. The ship was great, similar to the Freedom of the Seas, which was our prior cruise ship. I chose this cruise for the itinerary and number of ports and days at sea. Loved all of the islands -St Thomas, Curaco, Aruba, St Kitts. We arrived in San Juan the day before the start of the cruise. We enjoyed a great evening in Old San Juan and were relaxed and well rested the day of the cruise. We booked 2 excursions through the cruise line (St Thomas trip to Magens bay beach, and curaco beach trip) and both were very good. I booked others on my own, using ratings from this site and trip advisor. In Aruba we went on the Jolly Pirate snorkel trip which was a blast! The kids loved it, as did we. It was well worth the money! We took a cab to Palm beach in the morning, spent a couple of hours on the beach, then had lunch on the beach and walked up to the meeting place. We had dinner at Pinchos, which was amazing! Great meal and gorgeous scenery. Restaurant on a pier over the water with the ship in the background. Short cab ride or 25 min safe walk from the ship. On St Kitts I booked a half day tour with Javin through My Island Tours. We had a fantastic time! He brought his 9 weeks old monkey and let the girls feed her bottles and hold her. We explored the rain forest and the volcanic rock by the ocean. Wish we had done full day with him, was worried about timing with the ship departure but once I met him, realized it he was reliable. Only our family and 1 other couple so very personable and enjoyable. My only criticism of the cruise was that the food in the dining room was fair. Our waitress was much less engaging then others in the past- pleasant but seemed mechanical and forced. Food was brought out in mass giving it a cafeteria feel. Portions much smaller than in the past. My prime rib came with 3 green beans. Quality was fair at best. We would sit for an hour before main course was served- painfully long and we skipped dessert twice just to get out of the dining room. Dessert was similar to that served in the windjammer at lunch. Would recommend My Time Dining. Went to Chops one night and that was very good. Shows were entertaining but seemed like the same shows as our cruise 4 years ago. Entertainment staff/ cruise director very good. Overall a great vacation.

ILOVEMYLAB's Full Rating Summary

Grand Suite
Cabin GS 1574

I booked a suite since we were traveling with our 3 teenage daughters. I was worried about feeling cramped, but was pleasantly surprised. There was plenty of space in the cabin. Ample closet space (3 closets and lots of drawers) so that we all had plenty of room for our clothes. We did ask the room steward to remove the roll away bed during the day, which he was happy to do. Joselito was our cabin steward and we loved him. So sweet and very accommodating. The bathroom was enormous- lots of vanity and drawer space, huge tub, marble surfaces. The balcony was a double balcony so that there was a lounge chair which my oldest daughter would lie on, reading in the afternoon when she had enough of the sun and festivities at the pool. We would sit at the table and chairs on the deck and have wine in the evening on our balcony. It was great!

Beach

Took a short open air bus tour of island then dropped at Magens Bay for 2 hours. No beach chairs, but quiet and scenic beach. Had good food to purchase but a bit pricey- more than $60 for burger for 5 of us.

Beach

Took another bus tour and spent 2 hours on a beach. Chairs were extra but worth it. Beach was nice and shady with palm trees and umbrellas. Beach had really nice shops and restaurants lining it so was enjoyable to shop and eat when tired of the sun. Definitely worth the money and not pricey excursion. It was 3 1/2 hours so then we walked back into town to shop. Really cute island!

Outstanding!!! Can't say enough about this excursion. Highly rated on trip advisor and through cruise critic reviews. I emailed Javin (myislands@aol.com) to inquire and he promptly responded. It was my family and only one other couple so essentially private tour. He grew up on the island and gave us a tour in open air vehicle- went hiking in rainforest, then to volcanic rocks where we climbed down to area near the water for pictures and discussion about formation. Then went to old cotton mill for tour and lunch which he provided from a local spot in town. He brought his 9 week old monkey and let us hold and feed her. He even brought soap and water for our hands, and used gloves to put out food for lunch. We took half day trip as we had to be on the ship at 3:30, but wish we had gone on full day which was beach and snorkeling. He was very reliable and dependable and would have had us back in plenty of time. The other couple stayed for full day. I would never have done these types of activities with anyone not recommended as the rainforest in particular is very secluded. The island is very mountainous and pretty. A fair amount of poverty in some areas, and lots of locals approaching for pictures etc so not a place where I'd venture off on my own.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Snorkeling

We loved Aruba. We took a cab to Palm Beach, left ship about 9:30am- 10 minute cab ride. Spent a couple of hours at the beach which was beautiful. Chairs and umbrellas cost money and had to do some negotiating with a few different people to find a reasonable price. Lots of water sports available on the beach. We then walked down the beach and ate at a beachside spot neat the Holiday Inn- sandwiches etc. Jolly Pirate trip was afternoon- free alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks, snorkeling at 2 spots, then using rope to swing to swing into water at the third spot. Very fun and lively excursion. My teen girls loved it. We got back to the ship at about 5:30, then went back on the island for dinner. Ate at Pinchos which I would very highly recommend. It was a 5 minute cab ride from the ship ($10). Restaurant was outside on a pier over the ocean. The ship was illuminated in the background, the restaurant had strings of lights- we went at 7:30 and sun was setting- it was gorgeous! Food was outstanding! We all got either rib eye or filet and it was fantastic quality. Moderately priced with steak entrees about $33-35, other entrees less. Absolutely worth it. We walked back to ship - very safe area, about 1-2 mile walk along the water.

View All 185 Snorkeling Reviews