Viking Sea Cruise Review
1,339 Reviews

INTO THE MIDNIGHT SUN from GREENWICH, Eng. GREAT FOOD GREAT PORTS- BUT....

Viking Sea Cruise Review by donnalynn7

• Sail Date: Jul 2017
  • Destination: Norwegian Fjords

We had a mid ship DELUXE VERANDA....I was expecting a better cabin.

THE VIKING SEA has a major shortage of storage space in the cabins. They know about it and have done nothing...What could be done? Hutches on the desk, a small chest of drawers in the closet, replace night stands with real shelf space.

SCHEDULING OF MAJOR ACTIVIES and DINING: 6:30 -7:15 pm is the guest lecturer in the theater; after which a mob descents upon the “ anytime” RESTAURANT. If you scoot out a few minutes early- you're more apt to get a table right away. The major entertainment shows start at 9:15 pm back in the theater (there's only one show) - The problem- the kitchen is SLOW. We rarely made it to the show on time. AND when we did- there were NO SEATS!! What can be done?: We discovered the World café as a substitute to the dining room. Food was excellent and the Seafood was plentiful (Shrimp and King Crab Legs), However, my husband and I enjoy being served…so when we opted for the Restaurant- there was a conflict with time. What can be done? Viking could start the guest Lectures (which were excellent) earlier, perhaps at 6pm and start the show a little later, perhaps at 9:30 pm.

The itinerary (INTO THE MIDNIGHT SUN) was wonderful. Ports were excellent and the VIKING SEA included tours were basically panoramic bus drive around with a guide. It included “photo op” stops but no real sightseeing. Anything in depth was an additional tour with an additional charge.

ONE SMALL SAFU: We were travelling with friends, two women who were recently widowed. They signed up for a special tour in Edinburgh: Tour of the Royal Yacht. They were assigned a bus number that was incorrect. So- when that number was called…their tour had already left. They were instructed by the crew staff to take a cab…and were told they would be reimbursed.

We are talking about two women in there upper 70’s. They were already upset and once the cab left the dock they worried about having enough GBP to pay. Fortunately they just had enough but had forgotten to obtain the taxI receipt.

They did miss a small amount of the included sights along the way and were feeling uncomfortable about being rushed. They wanted their money back in full. The Officer in charge gave them a really hard time in obtaining a refund. At first he offered only a partial refund …and refused to refund the cab fare without a receipt. As their travelling companions, my husband and I could not understand why the process took so long- at least 4/5 days.

We were told the cruise staff had to clear it with the home office in Los Angeles. Really? This was small potatoes in my mind. And I still don’t understand why VIKING does not allow the office onboard to deal directly with these small problems.

Basically we were pleased with most aspects…The Food was very good, The entertainment was hit and miss- but fine. The Lectures were very interesting and the Lecturers were great and shared their time with passengers. The Cruise Director: Heather Clancy was fabulous. And the Ports for INTO THE MIDNIGHT SUN were terrific.

NO TRAVEL AGENT GIFTING ALLOWED...How about this- I am an experience cruiser...having used the same agent for years. Every cruise I have gotten a card with a ship credit or a bottle(s) of wine. On this voyage- no note- no gift. I thought this to be an error...so I notified my TA...He responded that VIKING does not allow Travel Agents to do on board gifts or ship credit... #VIKING CRUISES -WHY????

donnalynn7's Full Rating Summary

Cabin delux veranda 5053

VERY comfortable beds. CABINS ARE SAMLL. Major shortage of storage space in the cabins. Nice sized bathroom with full shower. Floors were heated...which many liked...I did not- as it made the bathroom too hot. My make-up started melting!! They were able to it turn off. It's not controlled within the cabin.

Kirkwall

The Orkney Islands and standing stones were a nice surprise.

Tromso Highlights Tour

a pretty town...it was raining and we didn't do much independent sightseeing

View All 45 Tromso Highlights Tour Reviews
Geiranger

Beautiful Fjord- great views from bus tour and from the ship

City Tour

Again a basic bus tour - nice walk around afterward.

View All 136 City Tour Reviews