3. Emerald Princess
Having cruised on Holland America, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Regent Seven Seas, and previously on Princess, I have experiences to afford comparisons. We had a mini suite and it was adequate, anything smaller would have been pathetic. Our cabin steward was excellent. Soap in the shower was of the pump on the wall type, an example of cost containment. The basins are very small and the counter the one basin is on is very narrow. You are nickeled and dimed to death on this ship. Anything that is "free" is really hard to find. The library is about the size of my bathroom. They have an added level of service called "Cabin Class" or something that we bought. It was promoted as "you get better food." The real advantage was you didn't stand in line in the dining room. The wait staff in the Michelangelo Club Class or Cabin Class whatever dining area were excellent. The Horizon Buffet must have been designed by a 4th grader as the traffic pattern is pathetic. My suggestion is that the owners of this line should checkout other lines to see how a buffet is really done. Personally we really like the Lido Buffet type on the Holland ships. the entertainment is nothing to write home about. There was a comedian that was pretty good. This is a good ship for those that have never cruised and have no idea what makes a great cruise. Shore excursions were good, but the same ones most Alaska ships have available. Forget about any ship heading to Tracy Arm and not Glacier. That is a real bummer. Getting on and off the ship was excellent. If one has only cruised with Princess, it would be difficult to really have a standard for comparison. In my opinion, better than Carnival but below Holland, Celebrity, Regent and Royal Caribbean. The crew was excellent and I have no complaints with them. They did their job with exceptional ability. However the security people when one was entering on leaving the ship were not too hospitable.

Cutters and Canners vs Prime

Ages 10 to 12
Get Emerald Princess price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MD D405
Very small for the second largest on the ship. Soap pumpers mounted on wall vs bar soap is not my preference. Only one basin on a very narrow vanity. Two TVs were nice. When on my balcony, those on decks above could look right down on me. Not much prevacy.
Dolphin Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins