Embarkation in Boston was seamless. Great staff to greet and direct you. Got on the ship less than an hour after our arrival at the dock. Room was ready and our luggage arrived very quickly. Large Oceanview cabin was clean and the air conditioning worked like a charm. Lots of room to store items and the bed was super comfortable. A mini fridge would have been a welcome addition as milk was only readily available during the breakfast hours and obtaining one right before bed was often difficult. Our room steward Dede and his assistant were wonderful. Food was ok - not the best I have had on a cruise. The fish and seafood was outstanding but the beef left much to be desired in my opinion - I think Canadians as a general rule are much more picky when it comes to beef. Veggies were varied and delicious. Entertainment - the onboard performers in the main showroom I thought were pretty cheesy, excluding the beautiful classical duet. They, however, were pretty much relegated to a small alcove located in a fairly major hallway where every few minutes the air conditioning restarted with an extremely distracting bang. The duet was amazing. Far and away the best offering on the ship for entertainment. The none-staff performers brought in on specific evenings were very good. The comedian was hilarious and the two celtic sisters (Maggie and Cassie McDonald) were fantastic! If you are lucky enough to have these two on your cruise do yourself a favour and see what true authentic Cape Breton musicians can do. The Indonesian staff show was awesome. It was wonderful to see how proud these people are of their culture. Extremely entertaining. Did the Peggy's Cove and Titanic Cemetery excursion in Halifax. Tour guide was very very good. Lots of interesting facts and information along the way. I know many reviewers of this itinerary have slammed Sydney. What they all need to keep in mind is that Sydney is a city whose economy was based on the coal mining, steel and fishing industries - two of which are now dead. Please consider what the impact on this community, as a result of these closures, could be. We were lucky to have our friends from a neighbouring community come pick us up at the port for the day and spend it enjoying an authentic lobster feast and beach glass search - Sydney was our favourite stop. I suggest booking an excursion at this stop. Enjoy the simple self-guided walk about beautiful historic Quebec City and the drive along the gorgeous coast on PE Island were AMAZING. The walk about in town of Bar Harbour was OK if you are into touristy junk shops. Talking to fellow passengers, that took the excursion to Acadia National Park sounds, indicate it is likely the best use of time at that stop. The trips under the bridges were exciting. Go to the top decks to get the full effect. Captain's voice made me laugh every time I heard it - he just may be the voice of Ikea commercials! I found Stone the cruise director to sound snooty and insincere at times - however her assistant that ran the nightly music trivia in the Crow's Nest was much friendlier and approachable. They should promote him!

Great Adventure - New England and Canada

Maasdam Cruise Review by Ottawa Goalie Mom

Ottawa Goalie Mom’s Full Rating Summary

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin C 589
Clean, roomy and everything in working order. Lots of storage and both the air conditioning and bathroom facilities worked great! Bed was super comfy.
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins