Riviera Cruise Review

Expected more

Riviera Cruise Review by Sue Traveler

• Sail Date: Jul 2017
  • Destination: the Mediterranean

We've been customers of Regent and wanted to try Oceania since they are part of the same company. We had a fantastic time with our friends and I hesitated to select average in my overall rating because I believe my true rating would be somewhere between average and very good. However, I hesitate to select 'very good' because it did not live up to my expectations based on what is advertised, and our previous experience with Regent.

Do not expect to get any wifi service in your cabin the entire time you are on the ship. The only way I was able to get service was to take my laptop to the computer area near the library. There were always people complaining and struggling with the wifi. In fact, the staff even admitted that wifi was a major challenge. This is unacceptable when you factor in the constant promotion in all Oceania materials about wifi. In addition, we are living in an age when everyone relies on this. From the younger generation to older people, this service is essential. What better advertising for the cruise, than people posting pictures on Facebook and/or communicating with friends and family back home about their trip--in real time. Once you get home, it loses some of the allure to send out photos etc. I am a business person and must be able to stay connected to my work while traveling--this was such an inconvenience. But I will say, the guy who worked in this area and helped people get connected etc...was fantastic! As I worked on emails, I observed and listened to him work with guests and he was so patient and helpful.

The food is good, but not the "best cuisine in cruising" as advertised. We particularly liked Red Ginger and found it unfortunate that you are unable to return to these restaurants more than once. (Especially since we chose NOT to go to Jacques--one less specialty than allowed to us) I would be willing to go at an undesirable time just to be able to return. The person who said they would put us on a waitlist was so unconvincing about this truly being a viable option. We knew we wouldn't hear from anyone. The Polo Grill would be the second best in our experience.

The Grand Dining Room is simply the buffet food with servers. There is very little difference or advantage. In fact, we received many missed items for our orders. No syrup delivered with french toast. Missed side of bacon. wrong drinks. I think the service and lack of any real diversity to the buffet was the most memorable negative with this dining option.

The Concierge Lounge had great cookies, but doesn't really offer any big benefit. I still have no idea what value the guy that sits in that room, offers. Any questions we asked, he referred us to someone else.

But the majority of the staff was absolutely fantastic. Overall the ship and cabin were just fine. We enjoyed the comedian and magician very much. It is a wonderful experience and we acknowledge that this is a terrific blessing. I would just like to see a bit more luxury for the price you are paying, wifi service in areas other than the computer area and a stronger reflection of what is advertised in reality, versus the marketing perception conveyed in the numerous brochures I receive each week.

Sue Traveler's Full Rating Summary

Catania

Great tour to Taormina with a wonderful guide!

Boat tour

Very informative, nice pace. It was great to get the free time between stops.

View All 49 Boat tour Reviews