3. Celebrity Solstice
This was truly the trip of a lifetime. I really appreciated everyones input and suggestions regarding tours, etc. We spent 3 weeks away. The first 10 days going to Venice, Florence and finally Rome. We stayed in an apartment on Campo di Fiore in Rome as we were there for four days. I arranged 3 vans from Stefano at Rome cabs to transport the 10 of us and another 8 people that we met on cruise critic. Can't say enough about Rome cabs as they were prompt, professional and answered many emails promptly. It cost 25 euros a piece to transport to Civitavecchia. We left around 11:15 and arrive 12:30ish. We were able to go aboard the ship right away. The line was short and embarkation went smoothly. What a beautiful ship!!!!!! They wheeled my mom up to the Oceanview Cafe for a wonderful lunch. We were then able to explore the boat. Once we arrived back into our balcony room, the luggage was already there. The room was narrow, but spacious. The balcony had two chairs and a table and lots of leg room. We spent alot of time there. The bathroom was the best I've seen on a ship. I also thought the staff, Paul our waiter, Ebra, his assistant and Miquel our steward were excellent always looking for ways to help us. My husband got sick one day and even the Matre D called to make sure he had everything. Wow. The Ports In Sicily, 8 of us had a private tour with a Sicilian nicknamed Mimo from Sicily Life. He was wonderful. He drove us out to Mt. Etna were we explored for awhile and then to Taorimina where we had lunch and explored for about an hour or so. He also drove us around Messina to show us the highlights. We left around 10 and got back around 5. Cost was 420 for the 8 of us. In Athens, there were 16 of us (many from cruise critic). We signed up with Paul Kalomiris (Athens taxi). The cost was 300 euros for a van for 16 for a half day tour (5 hrs.) The only disappointment was that Paul promised himself or his son, but "Bill" showed up which was neither. He never emailed me the change. We based our selecting this company based on the reviews about Paul. Bill was excellent at getting us to all the main attractions, ahead of the crowds and a very nice guy, but did give us some erroneous information. All in all though, it was a great tour. We were at the acropolis when there were maybe 20 people only. He took us to the Olympic stadium, changing of the guards, tomb of the unknown soldier was pointed out, St. George's where we had a wonderful view and left us with about an hour at the plaka. Tour started at 7:30 and we were back around 12:30. Mykonos we wondered on our own. Did a little shopping, wandered to the windmills, Little Venice and got lost. Was a wonderful day. Loved sitting by the sea. At Kudasei, we went to Ephesus in a van with 15 through Kagan Kosagan. By the way these vans are very comfortable and air-conditioned. Our tour guide was Yelda. She was amazing. The best tour guide we had. We explained the history, culture, etc. of Turkey. She really was extremely knowledgeable. We went to House of Mary, Ephesus, saw the Terrace Houses, St. John Basilica, a mosque, Temple of Artemis and had lunch in a little restaurant that the locals go to. This tour was 450 euros for 16 max., admission fee another approx. 25 euros each and lunch was 12 euros for 2 including beer. We were gone all day 8 am to 4:30 pm. We had asked for no factory tours or shopping. Yelda also paid for the admission fees in turkish lire and then we were able to give her euros. Rhodes you dock right at the city, so we just walked off the ship,wandered around for a few hours and then went back. Its a wonderful walled city. Santorini was our only tendered port. We went down early and got on the first tender. No line at all at the cable cars, but we were the only ship there early. We had some trouble finding the public bus stop, but eventually did. Took the bus to Oia where we wandered the streets and had lunch there. Then back to Fira for some shopping. By that time the streets were getting crowded as there was at least one more ship in port. There was a short line to get back to the ship. Lots of walking that day. Naples we signed up for the Celebrity Capri, Sorrento, Pompeii tour. We left early around 7:30 am and got back at5:15 pm. We loved the tour, but wish they had done Pompeii first. It was extremely crowded by the time we got there around 2:30 in the afternoon. I think there were 5 ships in port that day. Capri we spent about an hour and a half. Sorrento we had a wonderful lunch and about an hour to wander. Pompeii we were there until about 4:30 pm. We enjoyed the shows alot. 60s night was alot of fun. You have to check out the entertainment at the martini bar. I had my best deep tissue massage at the spa by a gentlemen, but I'm sorry I forgot his name. The fitness center was wonderful, but had to pay extra for alot of classes. The pool area in the solarium would get quite warm, but did feel good on those cloudy, windy days. One complaint. Our friend one the jokster contest and all they gave him was a certificate. Come on Celebrity. How about a token prize like a bottle of wine, spa certificate, et. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to but in the most useful info. Hope this helps

Trip of a Lifetime