My family, four women, chose this cruise for it's itinerary and the date. Most of us live in the Sunbelt and wanted to get out of the heat. I have been recently cruising with Celebrity and have been at the suite level with Luminae Dining. I was expecting the food to be mediocre and the crowd to be staid. However, we were all pleasantly surprised. I will address some of the bad things first. The Maasdam is an older ship which will be retired August of 2018. Although the public areas of the ship are nicely decorated and spotlessly clean, the outside of the ship can only be described as a rust bucket. The color scheme down the stateroom halls is tired. Instead of art lining the staircases, there are plaques given by governmental agencies referencing the Maasdam. Parts of our stateroom were repaired badly. My main complaint about the ship is the lack of outdoor eating and drinking venues. We really enjoy having a cocktail while sitting outside. Maasdam lacks this. In addition, there is not a jogging track. There is a promenade on deck 6 but it specifically states "no running." In addition, when we tried to walk it in the morning, the crew usually had part of it blocked off for some sort of drill or maintenance. Now for the good. The ship is spotless. The crew is fabulous. Most of the crew is from Indonesia. You do not see the Eastern Europeans or other nationalities like you usually do on a ship. I believe the homogeneous quality of the crew lends itself to a unique experience for the guests. They have your name memorized within five minutes of meeting you. I'd love to have that ability! Room stewards and dining room staff were amazing. Food. Except for the Lido at lunch, I thought the food was consistently better than Celebrity even at Luminae. None of us had a bad course at dinner. We ate at the specialty restaurants, Le Cirque, Canaletto and Pinnacle. All were excellent. I would highly recommend Le Cirque. It is only offered once per cruise and was really good. Lido lunch seemed limited to me. I always look forward to the Asian selections on Celebrity and these selections were not nearly as good in quality or offerings. Breakfast buffet and dining room were good. Drinks were reasonably priced and there are daily offerings where you can get drinks for a reduced rate. I would not do a beverage package. The wine selections were limited and, unlike Celebrity, if your glass of wine is more that what is allowed by your beverage package, you pay the whole amount of the glass not just the difference. Some in our party were disappointed by the limited wine selection. Entertainment was very good. Nightly shows that were not the regular ship entertainment (magician, comedian) were excellent. Smaller groups in other venues were good as well. The Band which played a Crow's Nest wasn't great, however, Adagio, Ocean Quartet and the piano bar made up for that. Ports of call were very interesting and pretty. We had gorgeous weather, high 70s. The time at Bar Harbor was limited. We did the Acadia Park tour and that was excellent. In Halifax we ended up with a private driver for the day after Hertz seemed to be overwhelmed. We waited forty minutes to check in for our reserved rental car and were still third in line. I'm glad we gave up on driving ourselves. Halifax is a big city and even getting out of town seemed like it might be a challenge. At Sydney, we did the Alexander Graham Bell Tour through Holland and it was very good. In Charlottetown, we saw the play Anne and Gilbert and really enjoyed it. Be aware, however, that it is not the original Anne of Green Gables play. In Quebec City, we just took the shuttle and walked around. Beautiful city. Some of the sail-aways were very exciting. In Boston, the ship hovered off-shore from the runway of Logan Airport. Planes that were landing seemed almost to touch the ship. It reminded me of Maho Beach in Sint Maarten. Other sail-aways went under bridges that were very impressive. The other passengers seemed to be mainly American or Canadian. Some Aussies. Not too many Europeans. It was a younger crowd than I have experienced on other ships mainly caused by multi-generational family groups. More children than on Celebrity but the ship is not overrun with children. Overall, very enjoyable.

Totally exceeded expectations

Maasdam Cruise Review by Almond01

Overall, very enjoyable.
Almond01’s Full Rating Summary

Lanai Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin CA 153
Lots of storage. Very comfortable beds.
Lower Promenade Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins