Zaandam Cruise Review

Very disappointed in the cruise

Zaandam Cruise Review by dafcpa

• Sail Date: Jul 2017
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Verandah Suite

Holland America used to have a very good reputation but since Carnival bought the cruise line forget it. It is a typical Carnival owned cruise line, mediocre at best. We ate in the main dining room and never went back. We had dinner in the Pinnacle Steakhouse and it was not a good steak. I get better steak consistently in my local Texas Roadhouse. The buffet was blah. I even had one of the cooks tell me I didn't know how to order my eggs correctly. In our cabin, we had a broken lounger on our veranda that I wouldn't sit in. I told the room steward and his response was "I know". What was really strange, and not very nice, the entire ship was non-smoking except they allowed smoking in roughly 1/3 of the casino so naturally you smelled smoke. The ship however was clean. This was at least my 10th cruise, not counting a river cruise, and would I sail on Holland America again; No way.

dafcpa's Full Rating Summary

Verandah Suite
Cabin B 6211

Cabin was OK but you don't need much on a cruise ship.

Seward

Nothing to review. We just boarded the ship here.

Glacier Bay

We just cruised up the passage and nothing special. I've been on glaciers before and this wasn't worth the the time because we saw nothing special.

There is nothing in Haines so we took the ferry to Skagway then took the Railroad. It was great. Ended the day by going to the Red Onion Bar (and former brothel) for a drink and an interesting experience.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
City Tour

We got onto a "trolley" i.e. bus and drove out to a bunch of totem poles at a small native village. Looked at totem poles and came back. Ho hum.

View All 64 City Tour Reviews
Gardens/Hatchery

The Gardens were fantastic. It shows what one person/family can do when they put their heart into it. I particularly like the upside down gardens. The hatchery was just a normal salmon hatchery but the fish had started their summer run so there were quite a few wild salmon waiting in the holding pens.

View All 69 Gardens/Hatchery Reviews
Mendenhall Glacier

The glacier was interesting but it wasn't my first so I wasn't that excited. I would say go but unless you want to hike to the waterfall or hike around the area, you will get bored waiting for the bus to come back to pick you up.

View All 971 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews