My husband and I just returned from an HAL Alaska land/sea cruise aboard the Noordam. Seeing Alaska is very ambitious and something we could not have navigated on our own, there is just too much land to cover. I think the two-week package met many of our needs. However, I didn’t find it a perfect experience To start with our first hotel in Fairbanks was the WestMark and it was DISGUSTING. We slept in our clothes on top of the bedding. For the first two days much of the group could only talk about how gross our accommodations were. We were convinced we made the biggest mistake of our lives booking this tour. Fortunately, things got better. As with all organized tours, there has to be a spirit of compromise. We didn’t find everything interesting but we were part of a group and it wasn’t all about us. The staff was great with the luggage. We would leave our luggage outside in the morning and always find it waiting in our room at the next stop. This was great because we packed a lot, (Alaska was really part of longer vacation). We paid for a breakfast package and that was a good investment. But at our last hotel we had to pay for a breakfast because the hotel said they were not part of Holland America’s network. I can afford it and I don’t really care too much but I was told all the breakfasts were included and it wasn’t. The once we boarded the ship we were able to settle in and unpack. The ship itself is getting old around the edges and can use some TLC. There was some good talent at the venues. The cabin attendants were attentive and hardworking. The food was only mediocre; nothing was great. I also hate waiting on line for food so the Lido didn’t do it for us plus the food there reminded me of an average college cafeteria., You could get a decent omelet but lousy fruit, bacon and sausage.. Also, as members of the Starbucks generation, we love strong coffee; there wasn’t a decent cup of coffee available at any of the restaurants on board. We used to buy coffee and add two shots of espresso to make it acceptable. The main dining room and the other two speciality restaurants were better (still not great) and we would have returned to each one but we couldn’t get another reservation at either of them. In summation, I don’t regret the trip because I saw Alaska but I will explore other cruise lines before I cruise again.

just ok

btaylor’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Noordam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VB 4181
It was well serviced. Always clean.
Observation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins