Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review

Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by wraithe

• Sail Date: Sep 2009
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Large Inside Stateroom

So far, I've written a review for each cruise that I've been on. This one was one of the best, even though it is the shortest cruise we've been on.

We flew down to Fort Lauderdale Airport (FLL) on Air Tran, checking one bag ($15) for the cruise. We used Air Tran because of the early morning non-stop flight for a good price. The flight went well, although the zone boarding concept is dumb, in my opinion. My wife and I were assigned seats next to each other, but were in different "zones". A lot of people ignored the zones under similar circumstances, which makes the whole thing useless. Might as well, just call out, all aboard!

We used Airport Shuttle to get to the ship and back, the driver called us pretty much as soon as we got off the plane, and was at the airport within minutes of getting our luggage. He dropped us right at the ship terminal about 5 minutes after picking us up.

Boarding was easy, we walked right up and within 10 minutes we were on the ship. Enchantment is very much like Grandeur, which makes sense, they were exact copies of each other until Enchantment was stretched. The stretch added many new cabins, a pool, splash pool for kids, specialty restaurant, Bolero's and other nice amenities.

They opened the rooms after lunch (got my honey stung chicken for sail away), and we checked out our "new style" interior cabin. We chose the cabin since we really love the area just forward of the champagne bar on Grandeur. Unfortunately, you can definitely hear the music from Bolero's one floor up. Didn't bother me, and really didn't seem to bother my wife. The showers in the "new" rooms have the hard door, instead of a curtain, which is nice. No refrigerators in the inside cabins, which gives more outlets, and a mag stripe safe. Overall, very happy with the cabin.

Bolero's had the best dance floor we've found on a RCL ship, the band was great, but too loud, that may be my age talking. We had a blase doing Latin dances. The other band was a three some, and they did a lot of different stuff in the Centrum and for the Captain's reception and such. Dancing was very good on the ship.

The MDR was really nice, we had a table for eight, with three other couples and we had a good rapport from day one. The food was quite good, but we had a junior waiter, and it took a long time to get our food, we lagged behind many other diners getting finished. Everyone at the table was a repeat cruiser and we had a really good time chatting.

The "Diamond Lounge" was a roped off area on the starboard side of the Centrum. Not exactly what I was expecting, but it worked really well as time went on. I met a lot of really nice people at the lounge, including many vets, and other Diamond cruisers with many common interests. Overall, I would say that it was well done and I enjoyed the wine and snack service.

Really can't say anything about excursions, we didn't leave the ship once we boarded in Port Everglades, until we got back to Port Everglades. It's not the Grand Cayman and Cozumel aren't nice, we just didn't feel like going ashore.

Disembark went just as well as embark, quick and smooth. Airport Shuttle was there in minutes and delivered us to the Southwest curb side checkin, within 20 minutes we were checked into our flight and ready to go. There is free wi-fi at FLL, which is great. ATL and IAD could learn something from them. It's ridiculous as cheap as Internet is now to charge for Internet access. The good will generated for passengers makes up for what it costs easily. Southwest did a great job getting us to our next destinations.

Overall, while Grandeur will always be a great memory for me, she was our first cruise after all, Enchantment is easily up to the task of sailing out of Baltimore and I'm looking forward to cruising her again.

wraithe's Full Rating Summary

Large Inside Stateroom
Cabin L 4881

Well laid out, nice closet, plenty of drawer space for our clothes. You could easily hear the music from Bolero's Lounge, but it wasn't bad enough to stop me from sleeping. Shower equipped with door, instead of curtain. No refrigerator. Mag stripe safe.

Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)

Great embarkation and disembark. The checkpoints were quick and check in was easy. The lobby is comfortable and well lit, makes getting ready for the cruise pleasant.

wraithe