3. Scenic Opal
Firstly, the Romantic Rhine Mosel cruise is about the scenery, and we were not disappointed. The Scenic Opal is a well appointed ship, with staff that are attentive to any request. My wife's gluten free requirements, such as bread service and varied pasta alternatives was efficient and was varied with all meals. Occasionally, her bread service was already at the table when we arrived. Portobellos option is one to book for sure. Upscale food and wine selection will impress. Good job. The availability of different types of seating options in the lounge, hard/soft and or couch/chair provides a good alternative for any seating need. The availability of a public 24 hr coffee maker, for up to 6 different coffee choices is a plus. Varied tea selection will also satisfy most needs. The choice of available excursions, is varied and will satisfy the needs of most seasoned travellers. It is great they are all included and no additional charges apply. This was a special 10th Wedding Anniversary cruise, so we purchased the most expensive Royal Panorama Suite, #336. We were hoping for the best experience of our lives. I would have rated my experience 5 stars if this cabin was deserving. See cabin review below.

Great cruise/Noisy cabin

Scenic Opal Cruise Review by kmwolf

kmwolf’s Full Rating Summary
Get Scenic Opal price drops

This cabin is located on Diamond deck, level 3, aft, directly above the motor house and propellers. Whenever the ship performs any major manoeuvring, docking, turning around, lock manoeuvring, this cabin will shake you silly, anytime day or night. Even at maximum thrust for extended periods, you will be disturbed. Also, the drop down balcony glass is useless in ports, as diesel fuel smell and cigarette smoke from lower staff levels will invade your cabin. After reading previous reviews on Cruise Critic, and contacting Scenic customer service before our departure about our concerns, they assured my concerns were unfounded. False. Save your money, book a cabin midship to avoid the headache. Funny how this is the premier cabin they showcase as part of their main sales strategy. It looks great in the adverts. In my opinion, it is a design flaw and should somehow be addressed in the future. Maybe convert to inside smoking lounge for guests, maybe a library/reading room, or sleep quarters for staff.