• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

cream52
First Time Cruiser • Age 70s

Sail Date: Aug 2009
Cabin:

Since we spent 3 weeks traveling around Europe on our own and then 2 weeks on the Celebrity Summit, perhaps our ideas will be helpful to someone who is trying to decide what kind of a vacation suits them best.

First, to summarize: We flew into Prague, then traveled to Berlin, Munich, Melk Vienna and Hallstadt in Austria, Muerren and Zermatt in Switzerland, and Lake Como the Cinque Terre and Venice in Italy. Part of our travels were by train and the rest in a rented car. Train travel in Europe is easy and cheap and we had no problem with driving. Thanks to Rick Steve's travel books we stayed in lovely pensions run by wonderful people, and ate at inexpensive, smaller restaurants that had wonderful native food. We also knew exactly where we were going and how to get there, but it does require a considerable amount of pre-planning (part of the fun for me).

Cruising is like staying in an American hotel, going ashore for a few hours, then returning to your hotel for dinner and a show - little opportunity to really get to know the country, its cuisine or its people. However, very convenient and requires very little planning. The food was much better than I had expected. You don't really need the specialty restaurant to find good food. We ate at the Normandie twice, but the food really isn't that much better and we enjoyed the people at our table so much that I'd only do one night if we did it again. My big beef is that there is so little time to see the country at each port of call. On the other hand, we had wonderful dining companions that were well matched to us. Again, the big thing is EASY. The only planning necessary was for our shore excursions and everything else is done for you.

We were in the smallest available suite. It was perfect for us. The balcony was larger than most, we were close to the elevators which was a big plus. I had been concerned with motion sickness but even being fairly high, I didn't have any problems. Very clean. Very bright and sunny.

Port Reviews

Dubrovnik

This is easy to do on your own. I suggest walking 1/2 the wall from the front gate to the harbor, take a short cruise, eat near the harbor, walk the main drag back to the gate, visit the beach. That's it. I thought Dubrovnik was overrated. Nice, but not as good as many other places we visited. My husband was very interested in how the war damage had been repaired.

Athens (Piraeus)

Athens was actually better than I had expected having heard that it wasn't worth a visit except for the Parthenon. My husband and I both liked it although we (I) wished for some time to shop at the Plaka. Our Taxi driver, John, took us to the highest point in Athens where we were actually looking down on the Acropolis. Worth a visit but a tour bus won't take you there. I thought we could have skipped the temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounian, but loved the Temple of Zeus and the Parthenon. The changing of the guard was also wonderful.

Santorini

We took a shore excursion here. Mainly because it sounded a little complicated to get up the cliff. The Santo Wine stop was fun - very interesting because they are harvesting grapes now. We then went to Oia which was great, but we needed more time here. Wonderful little cafes on the top of the cliff to eat and fun places to shop. We were on our own here. Then we drove to Thira where we were again free to shop on our own and given a ticket to ride the gondola down whenever. Again - WE NEEDED MORE TIME HERE!!! Oh to be a millionaire and ride from Island to Island on my Yacht!

Naples

We had a wonderful Taxi driver (Mariano) info@pleasantravel.com, pick us up at 7:30. He took us first to Sorrento, then over the hill and along the Amalfi Coast, stopping frequently for us to take pictures and shop - and eat Gallato! We especially loved Positano and would love to spend days here eating, in the water, shopping and exploring. Mariano took us to a wonderful small restaurant - owner/chef - who recommended his own specialty. It was GREAT! I had never known that pasta could be that good. Mariano then drove us over to Pompeii where we had 2 hours to explore. It is far better preserved than I had expected, amazing! We only wished that we had had time to visit the National Museum in Naples where most of the Pompeii artifacts are kept.

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Our Taxi driver here was Fabio. We had been to Rome before so asked Fabio to take us around the countryside. He took us to many lovely small towns and ruins, some by beautiful lakes. The best part of the day, however, was in a tiny town called Vitorbo where they were in the middle of the Festival of Santa Rossa. We saw the parades and speeches, but there was much more happening that evening including fireworks and the next day the Pope was scheduled to come. How we wish we'd had more time to stay here, but no - back to the ship by 5:30. Dang!

Florence (Livorno)

We had been to Florence before so asked our Taxi driver, Giovanni to take us around to the best of Tuscany to see what the fuss was all about. It was wonderful - tiny medieval villages on the tops of hundreds of hills, villas, grapes, everything that I thought Tuscany would be and more. People hanging laundry from ancient medieval arches - yes people live there! Giovanni was wonderful (www.sunflower-tours.com). We ate Gelato at the Gelateria that had been the World Champion for the past 2 years (Yes, to die for), and lunch at a small restaurant - Il Vescovino in Panzano in Chianti. The owner/chef was happy to fix me a caprese salad that was not on the menu and apologized that the Mozzarella he had was only in balls, not slices.(But OHHHHH so Good!) And Lasagna without tomato sauce that I could have eaten every day for a week. Worth a trip to Italy just to eat there. Giovanni would be happy to recommend town and villas to anyone who would like to spend more time in Tuscany. Oh yeah! Sign me up!

Find a Celebrity Summit Cruise from $206