• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

6-10 Cruises • Age 40s

Sail Date: Jul 2017
Cabin: Ocean View
Traveled with children

My family and I are Gold members as we have taken many cruises on Carnival. This cruise along with myself was my husband, son 18 and daughter 10. In the past we have only taken a couple of Royal Caribbean cruises as we were very satisfied and happy with the switch to Carnival many years ago. However, after this cruise, we will be giving Royal Caribbean another shot. I will break down my review in sections.

Cabin: We had an ocean view cabin #1476 and it was horrendous! From the day of embarkation when we entered the cabin it had the worst and most nauseating smell of mildew, sewage and "feet." LOL! I spoke with the guest in the cabin next to ours going aft and they complained of the same thing. I also heard a lady staying a few cabins down on our side complaining to the cabin steward of the same problem. We brought this to our cabin steward's attention right away but he didn't do anything until the 3rd night when we complained to guest services. That evening when we stopped by the cabin after dinner they had a "blower" that is used to dry floors and coffee beans to mask the odor. However the smell returned the very next day. Also the carpet had a huge stain that was wet near the vanity seat in front of the mirror the whole time. Also, the bathroom showed mold specifically in the sink and around the sink area. The cabin never had a "clean" feel to it. Our first day when checking in we discovered dirty pillow cases and a stain on the sheet that appeared to be blood. Also, my son broke out with a rash on both of his arms and my right arm broke out in little bumps. At that point I was freaking out and went to guest services again where they were adamant that it was not bed bugs and stated that we may have been allergic to the detergent they used. To be fair, we never seen any bugs in the cabin but since being off of the ship for a week, both my son and my arms have cleared up. Very strange but goes back to the cabin not being very clean. Our cabin steward, though very nice was not efficient at all. One morning he knocked once and barged into our cabin while we had the "snoozing" sign up and while we were in the process of getting dressed. We never received the robes we requested. In the past they were already in the closet upon check in. I also noticed there were not toiletries in the bathroom like in the past. Also, we received a letter and complimentary bottles of water for being gold members which stated we would also receive our gold pins (as we normally do) on every cruise including this one but we never received them. Usually on a cruise we like to go have breakfast while the cabin steward services the room then come back take a little rest and then go take part in the activities for the day, return in the late afternoon for a little nap then shower again and get ready for dinner and the nightly entertainment. However, in this cabin we couldn't feel totally comfortable because of all the issues. Plus I kept worrying about the possibility of bed bugs.

Ship: The Sunshine was formally the Destiny which was a very old ship. The refurbishment in my mind was a hit and miss. All of the public areas are gorgeous and I like that the ship didn't have that gaudy décor. However, certain areas certainly had the look and feel of an older ship like the outside decks on decks 3 and 5 and the cabin which had peeling paint on the bunk beds and the bathroom area. Also, while the Sunrise dining room is beautiful and grand, our assigned dining room the Sunset was seriously lacking any ambiance.

Ocean View

Cabin 6C

Cabin: We had an ocean view cabin #1476 and it was horrendous! From the day of embarkation when we entered the cabin it had the worst and most nauseating smell of mildew, sewage and "feet." LOL! I spoke with the guest in the cabin next to ours going aft and they complained of the same thing. I also heard a lady staying a few cabins down on our side complaining to cabin steward of the same problem. We brought this to our cabin steward's attention right away but he didn't do anything until the 3rd night when we complained to guest services. That evening when we stopped by the cabin after dinner they had a "blower" that is used to dry floors and coffee beans to mask the odor. However the smell returned the very next day. Also the carpet had a huge stain that was wet near the vanity seat in front of the mirror. Also, the bathroom showed mold specifically in the sink and around the sink area. The cabin never had a "clean" feel to it. Our first day when checking in we discovered dirty pillow cases and a stain on the sheet that appeared to be blood. Also, my son broke out with a rash on his arms and my right arm broke out in little bumps. At that point I was freaking out and went to guest services where they were adamant that it was bed bugs and that we may have been allergic to the detergent they used. To be fair, we never seen any bugs in the cabin but since being off of the ship for a week, both my son and my arms have cleared up. Very strange but goes back to the cabin not being very clean. Our cabin steward, though very nice was not efficient at all. One morning he knocked once and barged into our cabin while we had the "snoozing" sign up while we were in the process of getting dressed. We never received the robes we requested. In the past they were already in the closet upon check in. I also noticed there were not toiletries in the bathroom like in the past. Also, we received a letter and complimentary bottles of water for being gold members which stated we would also receive our gold pins (as we normally do) on every cruise including this one but we never received them. Usually on a cruise we like to go have breakfast while the cabin steward services the room then come back take a little rest and then go take part in the activities for the day, return in the late afternoon for a little nap then shower again and get ready for dinner and the nightly entertainment. However, in this cabin we couldn't feel totally comfortable because of all the issues. Plus I kept worrying about the possibility of bed bugs.

6 Helpful Votes