3. Carnival Sunshine
My family and I are Gold members as we have taken many cruises on Carnival. This cruise along with myself was my husband, son 18 and daughter 10. In the past we have only taken a couple of Royal Caribbean cruises as we were very satisfied and happy with the switch to Carnival many years ago. However, after this cruise, we will be giving Royal Caribbean another shot. I will break down my review in sections. Cabin: We had an ocean view cabin #1476 and it was horrendous! From the day of embarkation when we entered the cabin it had the worst and most nauseating smell of mildew, sewage and "feet." LOL! I spoke with the guest in the cabin next to ours going aft and they complained of the same thing. I also heard a lady staying a few cabins down on our side complaining to the cabin steward of the same problem. We brought this to our cabin steward's attention right away but he didn't do anything until the 3rd night when we complained to guest services. That evening when we stopped by the cabin after dinner they had a "blower" that is used to dry floors and coffee beans to mask the odor. However the smell returned the very next day. Also the carpet had a huge stain that was wet near the vanity seat in front of the mirror the whole time. Also, the bathroom showed mold specifically in the sink and around the sink area. The cabin never had a "clean" feel to it. Our first day when checking in we discovered dirty pillow cases and a stain on the sheet that appeared to be blood. Also, my son broke out with a rash on both of his arms and my right arm broke out in little bumps. At that point I was freaking out and went to guest services again where they were adamant that it was not bed bugs and stated that we may have been allergic to the detergent they used. To be fair, we never seen any bugs in the cabin but since being off of the ship for a week, both my son and my arms have cleared up. Very strange but goes back to the cabin not being very clean. Our cabin steward, though very nice was not efficient at all. One morning he knocked once and barged into our cabin while we had the "snoozing" sign up and while we were in the process of getting dressed. We never received the robes we requested. In the past they were already in the closet upon check in. I also noticed there were not toiletries in the bathroom like in the past. Also, we received a letter and complimentary bottles of water for being gold members which stated we would also receive our gold pins (as we normally do) on every cruise including this one but we never received them. Usually on a cruise we like to go have breakfast while the cabin steward services the room then come back take a little rest and then go take part in the activities for the day, return in the late afternoon for a little nap then shower again and get ready for dinner and the nightly entertainment. However, in this cabin we couldn't feel totally comfortable because of all the issues. Plus I kept worrying about the possibility of bed bugs. Ship: The Sunshine was formally the Destiny which was a very old ship. The refurbishment in my mind was a hit and miss. All of the public areas are gorgeous and I like that the ship didn't have that gaudy décor. However, certain areas certainly had the look and feel of an older ship like the outside decks on decks 3 and 5 and the cabin which had peeling paint on the bunk beds and the bathroom area. Also, while the Sunrise dining room is beautiful and grand, our assigned dining room the Sunset was seriously lacking any ambiance. Service: As stated our cabin steward was very nice, but not too efficient. The dining room staff was mixed. Our head waiter wasn't the most personable and he didn't remember simple requests/likes for each night. For example, we liked lemonade with dinner and each night we had to request it. Plus we were a party of 4, and he would bring lemonade for 2 or 3 and we'd have to request it for all of us. To me that's just common sense. However, as the week went on he got a little better. The two assistant waiters were very nice and very efficient. The staff on the lido deck were great as when we would be seated at a table for breakfast or lunch they would come by with the drink cart to give us juice, water, lemonade and ice tea. That was a nice touch and I really appreciated that. The guys at Red Frog Rum bar on the lido deck were great and they made the best drinks out of all the bars on the ship. Some of the bartenders in other parts of the ship were not the friendliest but were efficient. The staff at guest services and Camp Carnival were great. Food: This is a biggie for me. When I go on vacation I like to indulge in good food, and the fact that I get a few days where I don't have to cook is great. We have always loved the food on Carnival. However, I have to agree with recent reviews in which other travelers stated the quality has gone down. It definitely has-especially for dinners in the dining room. We usually like the chilled soups for our appetizers. However, the soups were room temperature and when they poured the chilled strawberry and mango soups onto our bowls they had a nasty foam on them which means they had sat out too long-thus those soups being room temperature instead of being cold, key word on the menu is "chilled." The prime rib was served on two different nights-lack of variety and the taste and quality was not there. The choices for the entrees were not good. They had things like "baked ziti with peas and ham" what in the world?? Lobster and filet mignon were not offered, UNLESS you wanted to pay an upcharge. One night crème brulee was on the menu which we normally enjoy on Carnival. However, this time it was bad, the custard part had curds on it and it was all of this wet syrup-just bad execution on a fine dessert. Speaking of desserts, there weren't many good choices at all. The exceptions were a banana and white chocolate bread pudding on the last night that was delicious. And of course the warm chocolate melting cake is always a hit. The food on the lido deck was decent. I tried the Asian stir fry spot for lunch one day but it was way too salty. I also tried the Italian spot one day for lunch and it was good. Guy's burgers were good as always, but you have to go at a busy time-as strange as that sounds, so you're getting a fresh burger and not one they already cooked and is sitting there. I did not try Blue Cantina. Also, the desserts on the lido deck were not good with the exception of caramel cheesecake-that was delicious! Breakfast, we ate some mornings in the dining room which were good. I especially liked the banana bread and banana cream pie. The pancakes weren't good-cold, grits didn't taste that good as they were kind of watery. But for the most part the food and service was good. Breakfast on the lido was very good and the choices were very good. While the food wasn't terrible, we were definitely disappointed in how the quality has gone down especially at dinner time. Port of Call: We only had one port, King's Wharf, Bermuda. Bermuda was absolutely beautiful!! I would actually like to go there for a land vacation. But it was HOT!! Also, this was not our favorite port due to how the lay out was (I'll explain) and that was the sentiment among the people we met through out the week. Strike one, upon getting off the ship there was a crazy long line of passengers from Carnival and from Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas. We wanted to get a private cab or one of the little buses like in other ports to take us around to see the island. Usually in other ports as soon as you disembark there are a ton of cabs/tour drivers hounding you to go with them for a tour, that costs much less than Carnival's excursions. I guess the majority of passengers had the same idea. The only problem is we could not catch any taxis and there was no one out offering their services. Therefore, EVERYONE got into this long line to catch the little bus/van style vehicles to Horseshoe Bay beach in which they charged $7 per person. Upon arrival at the beach it was hot and there were lines for the bar, the lunch shack and to rent umbrellas and lounge chairs. It was $45 for one umbrella and 2 chairs. The water was absolutely beautiful and the kids had a great time. For someone like me who is not a beach person it wasn't as fun. We had decided prior to arriving in port that we would do a tour of the island, then be dropped off at the beach so that the kids could have beach time. After either take the ferry or the bus back to the port area and check out the shops. However, between the line to catch the bus/van vehicle to the beach and the horrendous line to catch the transportation from the beach it was not feasible as Those lines killed so much time. Then there was a crazy line at the port to board the ship. I've never seen a line longer than a few folks at a time, this line was as long as a New City block. I have never experience anything like this at any other port. Several folks in the crowd thought this was a plan by Carnival and the tourism department of Bermuda to make money together by discouraging travelers from taking private tours outside of the cruise line's over priced excursions. I just felt that although Bermuda was beautiful we did not get to enjoy it as much as we had hoped. Faster to Fun: Totally worth it!! Embarkation and debarkation was a breeze and it really helped when we had to go to guest services. Thank you for reading my very long review! Safe travels!

I Love Carnival, Just Not This Cruise/Ship

Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by Supawoman

• Sail Date: July 2017
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View

Thank you for reading my very long review! Safe travels!
Supawoman’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Ages 16+
Get Carnival Sunshine price drops

Ocean View
Cabin 6C 1476
Cabin: We had an ocean view cabin #1476 and it was horrendous! From the day of embarkation when we entered the cabin it had the worst and most nauseating smell of mildew, sewage and "feet." LOL! I spoke with the guest in the cabin next to ours going aft and they complained of the same thing. I also heard a lady staying a few cabins down on our side complaining to cabin steward of the same problem. We brought this to our cabin steward's attention right away but he didn't do anything until the 3rd night when we complained to guest services. That evening when we stopped by the cabin after dinner they had a "blower" that is used to dry floors and coffee beans to mask the odor. However the smell returned the very next day. Also the carpet had a huge stain that was wet near the vanity seat in front of the mirror. Also, the bathroom showed mold specifically in the sink and around the sink area. The cabin never had a "clean" feel to it. Our first day when checking in we discovered dirty pillow cases and a stain on the sheet that appeared to be blood. Also, my son broke out with a rash on his arms and my right arm broke out in little bumps. At that point I was freaking out and went to guest services where they were adamant that it was bed bugs and that we may have been allergic to the detergent they used. To be fair, we never seen any bugs in the cabin but since being off of the ship for a week, both my son and my arms have cleared up. Very strange but goes back to the cabin not being very clean. Our cabin steward, though very nice was not efficient at all. One morning he knocked once and barged into our cabin while we had the "snoozing" sign up while we were in the process of getting dressed. We never received the robes we requested. In the past they were already in the closet upon check in. I also noticed there were not toiletries in the bathroom like in the past. Also, we received a letter and complimentary bottles of water for being gold members which stated we would also receive our gold pins (as we normally do) on every cruise including this one but we never received them. Usually on a cruise we like to go have breakfast while the cabin steward services the room then come back take a little rest and then go take part in the activities for the day, return in the late afternoon for a little nap then shower again and get ready for dinner and the nightly entertainment. However, in this cabin we couldn't feel totally comfortable because of all the issues. Plus I kept worrying about the possibility of bed bugs.
Deck 2 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins