• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Queen Victoria Review

Editor Rating
28 Awards

There's a lot to like about Queen Victoria, but.......

Review for Queen Victoria to the British Isles & Western Europe
Dowunder
2-5 Cruises • Age 80s

Sail Date: Jul 2017
Cabin: Balcony

There's a lot to like about QV, but the food in the Britannia dining room, an important part of cruising, is not one of them. Tough steaks, dry roast pork, tasteless sea bass, endless steamed vegetables, in fact the only way to describe the meals is ordinary. Except perhaps for the deserts there was very little else that was delicious. Also strange combinations of ingredients e.g. a slice of cold tomato with roast veg. And how excited I was to see Rockefeller oysters on the menu one night. Expecting to see 3 oysters served in their shells on a large plate, well what I got was a large plate with 3 tiny oysters all crammed together on a small round slice of toast with a thick dressing on top. Awful !

OK you get a symphony of waiters, but the food in Britannia was so ordinary ( I understand the Exec. Chef was from Malaysia. Probably very good at Asian food, but not much of an idea about Western ) that we thought it was not worth getting dressed up for ( and yes, we'd bought new outfits before we left) that we often found ourselves eating in the Lido buffet where the food while not gourmet was always very tasty. Harsh comments I know, but really Cunard you can do better.

On a very positive note the beautiful and elegant ship was well presented even if the air con was constantly on cold no make that freezing.The Chart room, the Commodores Club, the Winter Garden were always a joy to be in especially when the Imprezza Strings, an all female string quartette were playing. The afternoon tea was always a treat and so very civilised. Well done Cunard ! The service by the extremely friendly and accommodating waiters was outstanding . I understand there were 190 on board all Professional polite with nothing being too much trouble. My wife's Gluten Free intolerance was always well looked after. Joel serviced our stateroom twice a day and kept it spotless. Absolutely no complaints in that area.

Balcony

Cabin BE

In good position close to lifts.

Find a Queen Victoria Cruise from $299