Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review
2,269 Reviews

Wonderful staff and ports, but all in all ehh...

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by ndb2016

• Sail Date: Jul 2017
  • Destination: the Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

My husband and I chose this cruise for our honeymoon and it seemed like it would be like a fun, active ship. It being my first cruise I wasn’t sure what to expect, but after this experience I don’t know if I would do it again. First for the positives.... We stayed in Old San Juan for two days before the cruise and had a blast. It's a great walking city where you can safely wander to your heart’s content. Whenever we got tired or wanted to rest we would pop into a bar or restaurant along the way and have a drink, snack and chat with the locals. It was so fun and I can't wait to go back to Puerto Rico to explore the rest of the island. Embarkation went smoothly and we got up to our deluxe balcony stateroom quickly. The staff on the ship was probably my favorite part of the cruise. Everyone we encountered was kind and helpful. Just about every day we would go to Champagne Bar for yummy drinks, (try the coconuts martini), and talk with the bartenders Claudia and Resa(sp?). The ports were beautiful and our excursions were all a lot of fun so no complaints there.

Now for the negative.... first off, I know this is going to sound harsh, but the majority of our fellow passengers were awful. I don't know if people think that once they are on vacation they can be rude or if they are this way all the time, but it was out of control. It seems as if everyone forgot elevator manners (i.e. allow people to exit before barging your way on), pushing their way or cutting their way to the front of a line, not saying please and thank you (I watched many go to the bar/towel kiosk/etc. and say, "give me a..." and instead of saying, "hi, can I please have a ...."), letting their kids run wild, talking LOUDLY in the hallways at all hours, and just being entitled jerks. The food was very hit and miss on the ship. We love food, and are adventurous eaters who will try just about anything once. Giovanni’s and the Chef’s Table were both wonderful so don’t pass either of those up! We also ate at Chops and it was underwhelming. We only ate dinner in the MDR twice. The service was wonderful, but the food was under-seasoned and blah to say the least. We also went to breakfast once in the MDR and the food was cold so we stuck with room service or the Windjammer the remaining mornings where the food was at least hot. Finally the last issue on the boat was the rocking and swaying of the ship. It was so bad on sea days I couldn’t wear heels for long because it felt like I was going topple over. Luckily neither of us got sea sick, but if you are prone to it I wouldn’t recommend this ship. Both of us felt swaying for a good 3-4 days after we got off the ship.

ndb2016's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony
Cabin E3 7280

Once our luggage was unpacked and placed under the bed, our room was large enough for the two of us. I loved having a vanity in the room to be able to do my hair and makeup. The balcony was really nice to have, and with the small table and two chairs we were able to have breakfast out there for a couple of mornings. My only complaint was with the bed. If some said to me the bed was actually a plywood platform with a slightly padded mattress cover over it I would have believed them; it was that hard.

Catamaran Tour

This was probably our favorite tour out of all of the ones we took. It was a catamaran sail to Nevis that included lunch and beach time. The actual sail to Nevis took awhile, but they had rum punch, beer and a variety of local sodas to quench our thirst. St. Kitts and Nevis were both beautiful to look at and a lot different than the other ports so it was great scenery to look at on our sail. Once we arrived on the beach in Nevis they had a tasty lunch for us that included hot dogs, bbq chicken, and a variety of salads (be sure to try the coconut salad!). Then we were able to explore the beach and swim for an hour or so. It wasn't the prettiest beach I had ever been on, but it was quiet and secluded so that was really nice. Then the ride back to St. Kitts was where the real fun started. By this time everyone had their fill of rum punch and was ready to let loose so a dance party with the crew broke out in the cabin of the boat.

View All 128 Catamaran Tour Reviews

The crew on the catamaran were amazing! They gave us brief a history tour St. Thomas and St. John on our way to honeymoon beach. The actual snorkeling was just okay. We saw quite a bit of fish, but the snorkel mask wasn't the best so we kept getting quite a bit of water in our mouths. After snorkeling and playing on the beach for an hour or so we had champagne, beer, and rum punch on boat.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Bacardi Rum Distillery

The Bacardi campus' architecture was beautiful and the distillery tour was really interesting. You get a small welcome drink when you arrive and then another free drink at the end of the tour in addition to a souvenir cup. Being dropped off at the airport where our luggage was waiting for us was also a really convenient feature of the excursion.

View All 102 Bacardi Rum Distillery Reviews
Bar Hop

Before our excursion that evening on the Kukoo Kunuku, we walked around the area not too far from the cruise terminal. First off all of the locals in Aruba were very friendly. We stopped and had lunch at the West Deck. It was a great spot located on a small beach next to the Renaissance where we shared delicious appetizers (fried funchi, ceviche, keshi yena, and fried fish) and refreshing drinks.

That evening we went on the Kukoo Kunuku Dinner and Nightlife tour. Our guides Smooth and Mama definitely made sure the party atmosphere was always going on. Whether it be making sure we were singing and shaking our maracas on the bus or making sure we had a drink in hand at the 3 bars we visited, they were wonderful hosts.

ndb2016