3. Carnival Splendor
Let me start by saying this cruise didn’t go as originally planned because 3 days before sailing I severely dislocated my right knee cap playing softball. Thankfully I was still able to sail but with crutches and a wheelchair - two accessories I would have rather not had. I had a great time anyway – just a slightly different great time than I had been planning on for the last year. Because of my injury I called Carnival’s Special Needs department and they were very helpful. In my room they had a shower chair for me as discussed. I used their recommendation for the company Special Needs at Sea and rented a wheelchair. It was waiting for me when we got the cabin upon boarding. This cruise was to celebrate turning the big 4-0 this year and we actually celebrated my husband's 40th while onboard - they brought him cake and sang to him in the dining room. He also received gifts from our room steward along with a Happy Birthday message written on our mirror. There were 7 of us with 4 cabins. I flew down to Fort Lauderdale with my husband, sister and brother-in-law on Friday, June 23rd. We left in the midst of horrible storms and before we even left port we were notified that our basement was flooding. I am very thankful for family and friends who took care of things for us. Because of my injury, my husband and I were upgraded to Delta Comfort as I could not bend my leg to sit in the main cabin seats. We were also upgraded for the flight home. Our flight was uneventful as was picking up our rental car. We stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port. I would stay there again and recommend this hotel to anyone staying the night before their cruise. Our flight landed at 10:08am and by 11:15am we were in our room – they allowed us to check-in early and I was as very thankful as it was time to elevate and ice my knee. The hotel was simple and clean. The breakfast was good. We explored Fort Lauderdale and the area a bit that day. No beach visit because of my crutches but we did visit Sawgrass Mills and bought my husband shoes from the Asics outlet. It would have been fun to walk around more but I was not fast on crutches. We returned to the hotel for naps – we had left our town at 2:00am!! After naps we used the hotel’s shuttle and ate dinner at Miller’s Ale House. The shuttle was very convenient and timely. And the ale house was great - good food and good drinks! Saturday morning we dropped our car off at Hertz near the port and took a free shuttle to Terminal 19. We arrived around 10:30am I believe. The two of us couples had purchased Faster to the Fun and our luggage was taken right away. They were not letting people into the terminal yet but started letting people in within a short time. Because of my injury and crutches I was pulled aside by a very nice gentleman who got me set up with a wheelchair and an escort. Check-in and security were a breeze and we headed to the Special Needs waiting room. I think we boarded about 11:45am and we went straight to our rooms which were ready because of FTTF. At this time we were contacting our friends who were also cruising with us. We met up at the buffet and ate some lunch. My husband and I had cabin 7438 and I LOVED IT! The balcony was amazing and the room was perfect. I was able to get around on my crutches with ease. The shower was good for those who could stand but a little cramped with the shower chair but I cannot complain – I was cruising! I can’t say much about muster as my husband and I were escorted to an air conditioned lounge to listen to the talk and demonstration. Sail away was celebrated on our big balcony with drinks in hand and family and friends with us. Sea days were great – there is so much to do! Really there is something going on all the time whether it's a Sea Day or not. We loved the shows in the evening and participated in Bingo a couple times. We visited the casino and got lucky at the claw machine a couple times. We just did a little bit of everything! I felt the food at the buffet was good. Sea Day Brunch was awesome! Huevos Rancheros are my new favorite! Dinner in the dining room as fun and delicious every night. Our wait staff was amazing! They even had my chair removed and my spot ready for my wheelchair every evening! The food from the dining room was awesome – I can’t believe I didn’t gain weight especially since my plan on taking the stairs was ruined by my injury. We visited Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao and Aruba. At each port we got off the ship with me in my wheelchair. We were not able to do any excursions but we did explore the ports some. I enjoyed each one. Curacao might be my favorite but I did enjoy checking them all out the best I could. Because we didn’t do any excursions we were back on the ship fairly early. This was actually pretty cool. No lines, lots of attention from staff and just a relaxing time. I can see why some people never leave the ship while in port. I enjoyed the peace while I could. Not that it was bad when everyone was onboard; it was just a slower, quieter pace. I was not able to use the pools but did enjoy sitting on the bench surrounding the pool at the aft Lido deck. I got to dip my feet in… And that was better than nothing! We had purchased the CHEERS package prior to our cruise and I am happy that we did. I did not drink as much as I would have without my injury but I did still enjoy my adult beverages. I loved not having to worry about the balance on our account and just drink what I wanted, when I wanted. My husband and our friends each maxed out the 15 drinks a couple different days. I would definitely purchase CHEERS again. I would also consider purchasing FTTF again as having the cabin ready upon boarding was great along with using the designated guest services line. We did not have any ports using tenders but I imagine it would be useful there too. Having it for debarkation was great too - we did self assist and got off the boat kind of when we chose to instead of having to stick to an assigned time. Debarkation wasn’t bad at all. It went smoothly. I actually crutched off the boat because the wait for an escort was long and we wanted to try and get on an earlier flight. That didn’t happen but we survived. I will certainly cruise again sometime and probably even bring our kids along as I think they would really enjoy it. I would also like at least an ocean view room if I can’t get a balcony. I do not want an inside room. I had no issues with sea sickness this cruise and I think it was because we had windows and a balcony. Being able to orient myself to place and time helped me a lot. We had an inside room on a Disney cruise and I was uncomfortable the entire cruise. I thoroughly enjoyed the Carnival Splendor. The crew was amazing from MarQ to our wait staff and room steward. We made friends who we will remember for a long time. Our room steward, Katam, was amazing as he had ice in our room every evening so I could ice my knee. He also brought extra pillows and a blanket so I could be comfortable. This cruise is a 10 out of 10 and the memories are priceless!!

Southern Caribbean Cruise

Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by Annie102100

This cruise is a 10 out of 10 and the memories are priceless!!
Annie102100’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Splendor price drops

Premium Vista Balcony
Cabin 9C 7438
I loved this cabin! The balcony was huge and we used it often. The room was good size for a cruise ship. The bathroom was well maintained. There are HUGE windows that were amazing. I would love to cruise in this cabin again.
Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins