3. Viking Star
First we went to Iceland for the precruise holiday and Viking did an outstanding job. Arrived in Bergen, Norway, and we were bussed to the port. Very easy embarkation, and our room was ready when we arrived. Bags arrived shortly thereafter while we were having a drink on the explorer's lounge. We purchased the silver spirits beverage package which for us was a great deal. My husband had his Italian liquors every night along with his brandy, pool drinks and wines. My husband tried every drink on the pool menu, lol. The bar staff was terrific, from the girls on the pool or at night in the atrium. As for the meals, we never had a bad meal at any restaurant and service was great every night. Definitely recommend the cheif's table with wine pairings, very unique menu, went here four times. Manfredi's has great risotto, pasta, ossobuco, and their zabaglione with berries is just as good as what I make at home. And the rib eye steak is like butter. The restaurant prepares the lobster dinner, and it was done to perfection. I had escargots and they were delicious. We also ate at the world cafe on a number of nights also. I had the the New York strip which was good but at one port, they had fresh catch salmon which they cooked on the outside patio and that was the best. But the next day, they made a fish soup which was equally as good. Great breakfast here, never tried the restaurant for breakfast because we had early morning tours. Mansen's waffles were delicious but we shared it because it was so filling. Oh yes, don't forget the gelato bar, delicious. Also, room service was excellent and the food was hot. Never did try the afternoon tea as we were stuffed from eating at the pool grill. Entertainment was great, there was always something going on. The entertainment director was Suzanne and her assistant was Jaime. Both were terrific. In the atrium, they had santo playing guitar, Eve playing piano and the had a group that played violin, and other instruments. Each sessions was different and the music was barely repeated. Now the night time shows we're exciting, a quirky musical adaptation of get smart, very funny. The rat pack show was excellent but get your tickets early. Abba was great if you're a fan of momma Mia. Then they tried a new show with broadway shows, I think that this was my favorite. Then they had discussions, all day, my husband loved these sessions, especially the smaller ones. Loved our cabin, suitcases went under the bed and we found that between the draws and shelfs in the closets, we had plenty of space. Loved the warm bathroom floors, the outside veranda was great but because it was chilly outside, we didn't use it that often. Check your vox boxes because the previous guests had not left the ear phones. The refrigerator was small and the bar person exchanged the tonic water for club soda. Our steward Rio was great and offered us great advice at different stages. The spa was great, just know that their hot tubs are not that hot but I found they were confortable. The main pool was deep so be aware of this. We didn't try the infinity pool but expect to try it on our next cruise in February. We originally chose optional tours but three were cancelled due to lack of interest. So we chose included on those days. Honestly, every tour was great except for rudeness among some of the cruisers. If you're in a foreign country, don't make fun of the tour guides when they speak English, it's not their first language and oh yes, the bus drivers are not deaf and they also understand English. Also aquavit is nit sold on the ship but in Tomso, we found a liquor store at a local mall close to the pier, prices were excellent and staff were very helpful. Word of advice, everything is expensive, but handmade items are worth purchasing. Finally purchased my Norwegian sweater and I purchased it at a fair price. Had a great time in the Orkney islands, Shetland islands and Scotland. Just a world in advance as to souvenirs, if breakable then let security know before you put it through the scanners, unfortunately, a piece of painted glass art didn't stop when it went though the scanner and ended up breaking. Security felt terrible when we saw it fall and break but what are you going to do, accidents happen. If you follow instructions at each port, then getting off for tours is very easy. People with handicaps take elevator to get down to tenders or to ramp when your group is called. Look into getting a folding all terrain walker for the tours, made it more enjoyable when I participated in tours and staff on busses were very accommodating.

Trip of a lifetime to discover your heritage

Viking Star Cruise Review by Fpacifico

Fpacifico’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Star price drops

See above, great room, even on the roughest night, we were confortable