• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Riviera Review

Editor Rating
81 Awards

Beware of ships repositioning.

Review for Riviera to the South Pacific
Lynnathin
2-5 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Apr 2016
Cabin: Verandah Stateroom

I have sailed this ship with Oceania before and am scheduled again in Sept. However, after I came onboard in April, I saw the ship was not in great shape. Casino had broken down machines and other areas needed repairs. I found out during my cruise that this was a "repositioning cruise on to NY for dry dock repairs". Further, we left port in Tahiti with only 2 movies onboard, one being the old Mutiny on the Bounty. The entertainment was really bad, so much so, lots of people walked out early or by the end, did not attend. In other words, boring.....we had 7 sea days scheduled but ended up with 9 because they supposedly couldn't go ashore on Easter Island (a 2 day stop over & my only reason for taking this cruise). At Easter Island they said the tenders were taking on water....but I saw a much smaller boat make it safely from the island to the ship with no problems.

We ended up circling the island once and then moving on. I thought they might have at least tried for a second time to get us ashore, but they did not. Learned later this happen frequently at this very important port. No refunds, no apologies, no nothing.

Also, I am working with all cruise related sites, travel agents, etc. to stop the very false advertising of 2 for 1 pricing on Oceania, Regent, Viking, and now others. There is NO SUCH THING. It is "PER PERSON" only. This is not only false and misleading advertising, but also should be considered FRAUD and should be STOPPED.

Verandah Stateroom

Beautiful and wonderful cabin. 282 sq. ft. with balcony and black marble bathroom with both tub & shower. I could live on this ship very happily.

Find a Riviera Cruise from $1,149