Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Review

Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Review by rdoppenheimer

• Sail Date: May 2017
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Suite

We just returned from our cruise on the Regent Seven Seas Mariner to Alaska, from Vancouver - Seward, sailing May 21-31, 2017.

This was our first Regent Cruise and our last. We are experienced travelers, we dine out 3 - 4 times per week, and I am a trained chef. We most recently cruised with Crystal in October 2016.

The ship was beautifully appointed and our suite was wonderful. The crew in general was friendly, but they seemed unorganized and not well trained. Our room was generally not made up until mid-afternoon. While we took advantage of many excursions, this only became an issue on the days spent at sea.

The primary reason I would not sail again with Regent is the poor dining room experience. We managed to try most of the dining options, including the Compass Rose, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, the Coffee Connection throughout the day, the Veranda for breakfast and lunch, the pool side buffet for Lunch, Sette Maria ,Signatures and Prime 7 for dinner.

In general the quality of the food was only fair to good, and the selection about the same. Most disappointing was the cut of steaks being so thin, that it was impossible to receive anything but a medium well temperature. Rare was not an option. The second most disappointing issue with the food was the fact that on an Alaska Cruise, one could order Alaskan King Crab legs only once in seven days, and only at Prime 7. Big disappointment. And no Baked Alaska either. My friends who travel the other spectrum on Celebrity were scoffing at this. Even the selection and quality of breads and pastries at breakfast were meager.

The service in the dining room was worse than the food. At breakfast buffet, juice was not offered at the tables. A coffee refill required one to be lucky enough to gain the attention of a server. The omlette station cook would touch his face and hair with the same hands (with glove on) that he used to cook and serve. I was served pancakes that were not cooked through.

At a pool side Indian Buffet I was served cold food from the chafing dishes, and raw chicken from the grill.

At dinner, I requested a Riesling White Wine, but when the sommelier would refill the glass, he would pour in the evening’s selection of a Chardonnay. I guess they are both white, so close enough. Likewise with the water. I would order Pelligrino, and get refills of ice water. I would request lemon and lime wedges with the water, and always had to ask twice.

If a baked potato was ordered, I was not offered accoutrements. I would have to ask for butter or sour cream. The same when lobster tails or scallops were ordered. Where was the clarified butter? Coffee refills with dessert required the same looking for the server. As was a replacement for a dropped piece of silverware.

By observation, most of the staff was untrained, did not learn how to work as a team, there was no Captain or Floor manager keeping eyes on the operation, and in general no one seemed to care.

I did request to speak with the Restaurant Manager, who finally made an effort to talk to me, but only after our farewell dinner. His excuse was that this was early in the season, and the crew needed time to work together. This is not the Maiden Voyage of the Mariner, and I did not get a discounted rate for being on a training cruise for the staff.

My last complaint was that my suitcase was damaged in the transfer to the ship from the pre-night in Vancouver at the Four Seasons Hotel. I reported this to reception before we set sail. I was told they would make an attempt to repair it for me in the carpentry shop. On the sixth night, I was told it could not be repaired. If made aware sooner, I could have purchased a replacement in a port, or had one shipped ahead of time to meet me in the next port. Instead, I was told I would receive a ship board credit to my account. At disembarkation, my final statement was not ready, and the credit was not applied. I did manage to get a $200 credit before I left the ship. Again, this is an indication of poor training and lack of supervision.

I honestly must say, that passenger experiences on discount cruise ships have an overall more enjoyable experience than we did on Regent.

PS: I had contacted the cruise line after this vacation. I received the usual corporate line, we are sorry you had some complaints, and we will strive to do better on your next cruise with us. They did not even offer a discount if we would sail again with them and give them a second chance.

rdoppenheimer's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Suite
Cabin H 1054

The cabin was of adequate size and well appointed. Closets were more than adequate. Mini bar well replenished. Bathroom more than adequate.

Misty Fjords Flightseeing

Great experience, wish we saw more bears though.

View All 166 Misty Fjords Flightseeing Reviews