3. Silver Cloud
Overall I have been on several Silversea cruises and this was my first time on the Silver Cloud. I have read all the extreme negative reviews and was apprehensive. Fortunately for the most part everything is in top form. Yes, there are some issues like stained carpet and worn furniture; however, since the ship is scheduled for a major overhaul I can understand why some of these items have not been corrected. The overall service, butler, room attendant, wait staff and bartenders were as always outstanding. The cruise director, Adam, was called away on a family emergency and the role was more than adequately filed by international hostess, Bianca. Bianca did an amazing job so much so that she was missed in the role when Adam returned at the end of the cruise. A highlight of the cruise was sailing from London Tower Bridge and passing sister ship the Silver Wind as the ship left London. Pre Cruise The Silversea website is available to book diners and excursions in advance. I have stated before the site could use some improvements but for the most part fulfills the purpose. Onboarding The ship was anchored next to the HMS Belfast in the river Thames. There were no lines just a quick completion of the necessary health forms, hand over your passport and take the launch to the Belfast for quick entry to the Cloud! As always we were greeted warmly, offered champagne and made the way to a traditional lunch at La Terraza. We were able to sit outside and enjoy a twenty-one gun salute taking place at the Tower of London in honor of someone’s birthday. The Cabin The cabins on the Cloud are almost identical to those on the Wind. The only differences are the closet configuration and the cabinet areas in the stateroom. As stated the couch upholstery was worn. Everything else in the cabin was clean and functional. We do bring a power strip and adapter to create our own charging station (2 phones, 2 pads, 2 fitbits and camera battery charger – welcome to the 21st century!) Hopefully the overall will add USB chargers. Most of the Cloud cabins are configured with showers instead of bathtubs which is a plus in my opinion. The butler, Arun, and room attendant, Maria, were as always friendly and helpful throughout the cruise. The Restaurants The food and service in all the restaurants was excellent. Glad to see the fleet is changing Le Champaign to La Dame going forward. I like the experience of dining their but have grown tired of the menu after six cruises it is time for something different. Hot Rocks continues to be my favorite. I was disappointed when we asked if another couple we met could join us and we somewhat rudely turned down. It was not like we asked for a larger table. Not sure why this was an issue. I do not mind the Formal nights but wish Silversea would keep to the scheduled they posted. The formal night was changed on this cruise – not sure why. I also wish they would pre designate which nights are informal and casual to help determine what you need to where when. The Entertainment There was another very talented group as the Voices of Silversea. The individual shows by a performer are always good as they are unique to each cruise verses the repeat of many of the shows. Daily trivia continues to be fun and a great opportunity to meet other passengers. Substitute cruise director Bianca did an excellent job as host. The Excursions I love cruises as there is an opportunity to see many different places without packing and unpacking however as I grow older the aggressiveness of the excursions and wanting to see it all is exhausting. The excursions offered by Silversea were very good and we visited most ports. As always a Silversea’s representative (mostly from the Voices of Silversea) accompanied the tour groups in addition to the tour guide provided locally. I was disappointed that we missed the excursion to Berlin due to delays in the Kiel Canal. Prior to that disappointment the excursion we originally booked for Berlin only had three people sign up so it was canceled. The highlight excursion was in Aarhus, Denmark to Rosenholm Castle. The castle provides a private tour in the summer months that should not be missed. The castle is not as ornate as some but actually provides a glimpse into how a “middle class, meaning not necessarily the king or queen of the country” noble family lived. I still shy away from any excursions that include “on your own time” as there is generally not anything to do but shop. Wi-Fi I definitely do not like the change regarding the complementary one hour of Wi-Fi that does not allow you to accumulate time not used on a given day. We also had a charge for Wi-Fi that we did not use that was eventually removed. To reduce the need for the ship Wi-Fi on this cruise we used the Skyroam device that provides a personal hot spot for $8.00 per day for up to six devices. It does not work at sea but is great when near land, in ports and on excursions. Overall Review Yes, the ship is dated and needs the upcoming uplift. The crew and service provided were exceptional. The overall experience of meeting fellow passengers is and continues to be part of the wonderful Silversea experience. I thoroughly enjoyed Trivia and joining large tables for Dinner in the Restaurant. I also want to mention again the wonderful job International hostess Bianca did as substitute cruise director. Two down side notes, there was not cruise consultant on board so booking future cruises was difficult. As this is a critical role for Silversea I would think they should not let this happen. Second disembarking was delayed. Not sure of the exact issue whether it was Silversea or customs but we were delay over an hour causing us to miss our scheduled driver upon arrival in Oslo. Looking forward to an Antarctica cruise on the Cloud in 2019!

London Tower Bridge to Oslo, Norway

The Entertainment

The Excursions

Wi-Fi

Overall Review

Looking forward to an Antarctica cruise on the Cloud in 2019!
SJS-TX’s Full Rating Summary
Get Silversea Silver Cloud price drops

• Aarhus
    A visit to Rosenholm Castle is a step away from the other heavy castle/palace tours of Europe. I can actually imagine people living in this castle as it is not overly ornate but still very beautiful. The tour guide was very informative about the history and family of this castle. He also told the ghost story of a pregnant daughter who was encased behind the wall of one room and is still known to haunt the castle. That was quite a different time when that story occurred. This is a definite gem of a tour!
    View All 12,771 Aarhus Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Aarhus Cruise Port Review
  • Canal Boat Tour
    Great seeing medieval Ghent. Felt like the canal tour was cut short. Really enjoyed the demonstration at the Chocolaterie Van Hoorebeke - Chocolate Factory.
    View All 34 Canal Boat Tour Reviews
  • Tivoli Gardens
    Without doubt Tivoli Gardens was the birthplace of the amusement parks of today. From a Disney/Epcot standard there is no comparison but the charm lies in the deep history of this place. I did expect more gardens but what there was is quiet charming. The entry to the park was very crowded but once inside the crowds disbursed and we enjoyed a guided tour of the gardens.
    View All 54 Tivoli Gardens Reviews