3. National Geographic Orion
I chose this cruise because I wanted to see Iceland and the Faroe Islands. I'm quite interested in the characteristics of the polar regions of our planet, and this seemed to be a good way to do it. I was not disappointed. A few notes: The itinerary had to be changed because of storms in the North Sea. This worked out well for me, but may not have been so for others. Travelers should note that Lindblad specifically states in their contract that changes are possible. There was a wide variety of expertise among the staff, from ornithology to ethnomusicology to geology. We also had a native Icelander on board. This provided good breath of understanding of what we were seeing. This cruise had significantly more bus tours than other Lindblad cruises I have been on. This is not a negative comment as the tours were well done. It's just a note for expedition cruisers. Embarkation and disembarkation went smoothly, but with only ~82 passengers there should have been no problems. The cuisine was excellent, but perhaps the presentation was overly fussy. Dining room and bar service was quick and efficient. My only real complaint is that the solo cabins (only 3 in the least expensive category) are poorly located. Mine was also had excessive engine noise. Because of this, I think the Orion is not the best Lindblad ship for solo travelers.

Excellent cruise for those interested in wildlife or volcanology

National Geographic Orion Cruise Review by WilliamsLanding

• Sail Date: June 2017
  • Destination: Arctic

WilliamsLanding’s Full Rating Summary
Get Lindblad Expeditions National Geographic Orion price drops

This cabin is located just in front of the restaurant. That was not a problem. However, the space was poorly used and the various noises from the engine and the hull were excessive. The bed was extremely comfortable.