3. Viking Gullveig
After careful consideration of many options for our annual vacation we have decided to book a river cruise . On February 24th, 2017 we called to book a Viking River Cruise. Having a number of physical limitation ( hip and knee problems as well as rheumatoid arthritis) we were very careful in choosing excursions and activities. After spending close to $9,000.00 plus another $2,500.00 in additional upgrades and expenses we were ready to be pampered and entertained by beautiful scenery to be enjoyed from our veranda on the 3rd deck as we sail thru Europe. Exactly 24 hours before our trip we received an e-mail from Viking to let us know that the Danube water levels were low and instead of embarkation in Nuremberg it will happen in Regensburg, about 70 miles southeast of Nuremberg. We were to meet at a welcome center, have lunch and be transported to Regensburg by a motorcoach. Because of our physical limitations I was concerned with traveling on a bus after long flight. I called Viking to find out if this was the only change in itinerary or was there possibility of extended bus travel. I was told by their customer service person that he did not have any additional information. We were considering canceling the trip because of the fear of extensive bus travel thru Europe instead of comfort of the ship travel. Travel agent told me at the time of my call that we will be staying at the Le Meridien Grand Hotel for the night and leave for Regensburg the next morning. The next day, June 23rd, 2017, while already at the Miami Airport we have received second e-mail from Viking informing us that the embarkation will take place in Passau which is 140 miles from Nuremberg. The shore excursions will operate by motor coach from Passau. My fears were mounding. Our total travel time to Nuremberg from Miami was 19 hours There was no welcome center in the hotel. There was no lunch. We were not staying at the Le Meridien Grand Hotel overnight. We were herded to the bus and driven for about 3 hours to Passau. No food or bathroom stops. We arrived at the ship that was docked outside of town at what it looked like waste management facility. Please, see the pictures of our view attached at the end of this e-mail. We had dinner, which I hardly remember because I was too exhausted from travel . That took care of the first day of this "lavish" vacation. The next morning, around 8am, ( 2am Miami time ) the loud speakers exploded with sound of a women's voice telling us to report at the desk for our 2-3 hour bus trip back to Nuremberg. Really? My body was still hurting from the day before. We could not endure a total of about 6 hours on the bus again. We did not go. Instead, I got showered and dressed and decided to have a nice breakfast. Only to find out that the staff was closing the restaurant at 9:30am so my only option were some slices of over processed ham, dried up cheese and stale bread, called a "continental" breakfast. After making a scene and getting a manager involved I was given a plate of cold eggs and bacon. We stayed on the ship. We could not experience Nuremberg. A total loss of 2 days of our European exploration. After dinner, on Sunday the Program Director, announced that the next day everyone must leave on the bus for Regensburg shortly after 8am. We did not plan on an early excursion. We planned and paid for a Weltenburg Abbey & The Danube Narrows trip that was scheduled for 2pm. I asked about that and I my question was abruptly dismissed in front of all guests. I was told that we must get on the bus in the morning if we want to go on our chosen excursion. We were disappointed but did not want to lose attractions of the third day in a row. The next morning, Monday, I approached Program Director in front of the bus full of guests. As I started asking her a question she looked at me and said " I have no time for your nonsense ". Than she opened her hand, put it on my back and pushed me into the door of that bus!!! I felt violated, embarrassed, manhandled and totally disrespected! Not wanting to make a scene and ruin everybody else trip, I went on the bus. After we came back I complained about the incident with Program Director to the hotel Manager. The next day Manager asked me if I would accept an apology from Program Director and let the whole thing go. I told him that I would accept apology for the words, but, because of her pushing me I will make an official complaint to Travel Agency and Viking. No one deserves to be treated like that. Two days later Program Director approached me and asked if I would accept her apology and I told her the same thing. This was supposed to be a luxurious trip that would allow us to rest, relax and enjoy the scenery and amenities. About the scenery. We were docked at that waste management place for 4 days of our 7 day trip. Totally not what we paid for. Totally not acceptable. Just, please, take a look at the pictures. They represent the view from the Aquavit Terrace and from our stateroom. The restaurant windows were about one foot from a concrete wall.We may as well have been eating in the basement. I did not need the binoculars that Viking advertising suggested I bring. I am upset with this whole bad experience. We have only so many vacations that we can take and enjoy. This was a waste of time, opportunity and a lot of hard earned money.

A Total Waste of Money

Viking Gullveig Cruise Review by J.F.

• Sail Date: July 2017
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Superior

On February 24th, 2017 we called to book a Viking River Cruise.

The shore excursions will operate by motor coach from Passau.

My fears were mounding.

Our total travel time to Nuremberg from Miami was 19 hours

There was no welcome center in the hotel.

There was no lunch.

We were not staying at the Le Meridien Grand Hotel overnight.

We were herded to the bus and driven for about 3 hours to Passau.

No food or bathroom stops.

Please, see the pictures of our view attached at the end of this e-mail.

That took care of the first day of this "lavish" vacation.

Really?

We did not go.

We stayed on the ship.

We could not experience Nuremberg.

A total loss of 2 days of our European exploration.

We did not plan on an early excursion.

I felt violated, embarrassed, manhandled and totally disrespected!

Not wanting to make a scene and ruin everybody else trip, I went on the bus.

No one deserves to be treated like that.

About the scenery.

We were docked at that waste management place for 4 days of our 7 day trip.

Totally not what we paid for.

Totally not acceptable.

Just, please, take a look at the pictures.

They represent the view from the Aquavit Terrace and from our stateroom.

I did not need the binoculars that Viking advertising suggested I bring.

I am upset with this whole bad experience.

We have only so many vacations that we can take and enjoy.

This was a waste of time, opportunity and a lot of hard earned money.
J.F.’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Gullveig price drops

Veranda Superior
Cabin A 327
An average, tiny cabin. Money wasted for a veranda because we either looked at the landfill or a window of another ship.
Upper Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Highlights Tour
    We spend most of the time on the bus. Bus driver did not make the correct street turns, so, we did not visit, or at least see Thermal Baths.
    When we arrived on the top of the hill we had to wait about 30 minutes so some guests could use the restroom. The restroom on the bus was not operational.
    View All 79 Highlights Tour Reviews
  • Vienna
    It did not meet my expectations. According to advertising pictures and description it promised to be much more than it was.
    The concert took place in one of the side rooms. Several hundred of guests were packed into this hot venue. Performance was ok at best.
    View All 13,794 Vienna Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Vienna Cruise Port Review
  • Walking Tour
    An average walk thru some streets of Vienna.
    View All 164 Walking Tour Reviews