• Cheers to 25 years: Celebrate with Us!
  • Find a Cruise

irapbmd
First Time Cruiser • Age 50s

Sail Date: Aug 2009
Cabin:

I consider myself an experienced cruiser, at the age of 44. This may have been my 12'th cruise or so (it becomes hard to keep count). It was my third cruise of 2009 and my first with Azamara. I have sailed with Celebrity many times including my first two of 2009 on the Infinity and the Solstice, so I knew what the minimum standard would be when I booked with Azamara. I was not disappointed.

This was my first cruise on a smaller ship. I'm more used to the flashy behemoths like the Solstice where walking from one end of the ship to the other is like a shore excursion in itself. I wondered, would I be happy on a smaller boat. Would I be happy on what I consider an older refurb? Would there be enough to do? Would there be enough to eat? The answer is yes. My scale confirms that.

In a nutshell, the staff really were excellent all around. They do go out of their way for you. Executive chef Lisa...what a dedicated genius. She is clearly an inspiration to her staff and it is reflected in the quality of the cuisine all around the ship....in the main dining room, in the buffet and at Aqualina and Prime C specialty restaurants. Her multiple cooking demonstrations involving her staff who are usually behind the scenes is commendable. I love fine cuisine, and quite frankly I usually lower my expectations on a cruise ship compared to my at home dining experiences. However the food exceeded my expectations. Even the afternoon tasty savories delivered to your stateroom are miles ahead of the non-descript canapes that Celebrity serves to Concierge class and above guests. For 13 out of 14 nights, we had breakfast room service usually on the balcony. Always delivered when requested. My only complaint on food and beverage: as expected, the standard coffee throughout the ship is DREADFUL. It essentially forces you to stop by Cova Cafe to pay for your. Personally as a deluxe cruise company, they really should provide better standard coffee.

Cabin 1A

Standard size balcony stateroom; location close to elevators and stairs but not too close that it was noisy.

Port Reviews

Amsterdam

Great city, experienced on our own. Wish we had more time.

Vigo

The city itself is quite ugly, with extensive road construction. A port in Portugal would have been a much better choice than Vigo. Not much to see in the city though they have a nice museum in an old palace. Our friends went to a beautiful beach on a nearby island which they recommended.

Gibraltar

A trip here requires a visit to the caves and monkeys. You don't need too much time in this port. We arrived on their national holiday and learned quite clearly that Gibraltar will remain part of the U.K. Most stores were closed on our day of visit.

Palma de Mallorca (Majorca)

Lovely island; lots of fancy boats at the marina shows that this place attracts the rich. I wouldn't mind spending a few days here.

Barcelona

Our final destination after disembarking. What a fab place....need to go back and really experience it longer.

Find an Azamara Journey Cruise from $1,679