Crown Princess Cruise Review

Crown Princess Cruise Review by Canuckjammer

• Sail Date: Jun 2017
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Interior

The Crown is an older ship and needs work! During 14 day cruise the spa pool was closed at least 4 times for 'maintenance' including our 1 sunny at sea day. Deck hands and other crew were all giving conflicting information as to what the issue was. This was more frustrating than the fact that the pool was closed. Get your story correct and tell us the truth!

Carpets in several areas (indoors and outdoors) were ripped, frayed and in poor condition. Several railings were missing or in slow process of being replaced. Several bar stools overlooking aft pool were too lose and wobbly to sit on.

Many of the staff don't seem as happy as on other ships.

The service in the dining rooms was the worst I've experienced in all my cruising. They still haven't mastered anytime dining!

I went on this cruise to Norway for the scenery and Midnight Sun which was all fantastic! The ports were all good.

Disembarkment was a nightmare due to fact that there was only 1 gangway in use. That's probably an issue of Southampton and not Princess.

Even though I was disappointed with condition of ship and service level, I still gave this cruise 4 stars because of the itinerary.

Canuckjammer's Full Rating Summary

Interior
Cabin IF L253

Perfect size and amenities for me. Love the location!

Wish Princess would have better deals for solo travellers!

Pulpit Rock

This was a very strenuous hike! More than most of us were expecting. The tight time frame made it more difficult. It would have been a better hike with about an extra hour of time to take a couple more breaks along the way and relax for 30 minutes at top of Pulpit Rock! Well worth it to get to top if it's a clear day for the view!

View All 76 Pulpit Rock Reviews
Flam Railway

I had heard the railway was not to be missed. I found it to be just average. There is a lot of hype and stress over getting tickets and I found that the train I was on had plenty of space even though it was showing as sold out.

View All 212 Flam Railway Reviews
Naeroyfjord

Luxury boat along the Naeroyfjord which even on a rainy day was very scenic and full of amazing views and waterfalls everywhere you looked! Then bus ride back to Flam through a 21km long tunnel.

View All 10 Naeroyfjord Reviews
The Path of the Trolls

Enjoyed the Troll road and our stops. Was very disappointed that we didn't go to top of Mt Aksla for view before going back to ship. I had confirmed in an email with Norway Excursion that we would be stopping at viewpoint and was told if there is time. Lady in charge told our inexperienced guide not to go there under any circumstances. We still had lots of time and he took us to park in city rather than viewpoint even though the other buses went to viewpoint. Very disappointed!

View All 27 The Path of the Trolls Reviews
Trondheim

I walked around city and found a boat cruise just in front of fish market. The boat cruise along river and out into fjord was fantastic!

Tromso

It was a rainy Sunday morning and most everything was closed. I took shuttle ($5.00 each way) and walked around town and across bridge to Arctic Cathedral.

Gravdal (Lofoten Islands)

I took an independant tour which did too much driving and not enough stops for photos and washrooms. We were dropped off at ship an hour earlier than expected. Very disappointing tour!

Mount Floyen

Due to operational requirements were arrived and departed Bergen early 0600-1230. I was off the ship by 0700 and walked to the funicular to go up Mount Floyen. Nothing at the top was open! walked to lake at top and discovered no canoes or kayaks available. Very disappointing after seeing all this in their brochure. Came back down to city and walked around. Most places were still closed and it was time to head back to ship.

View All 56 Mount Floyen Reviews
Skjolden

I did the rib boat and waterfall hike in Skjolden thru Adventure Tours Norway! This was 1 of my main highlights of this vacation! We had a wonderful guide, Stian who was very fun, funny and informative. He was also very encouraging and helpful during the waterfall hike!

I highly recommend this Stian and Adventure Tours Norway! Their company also has bikes available for rent to explore the Skjolden area.

Honningsvag (North Cape)

Had a beautiful sunny, clear day here! I did 2 excursions here. In the morning it was the Princess tour to Bird Safari. 5 stars for this one! The 45 min bus ride to bird safari was just as good as boat trip seeing the many birds. In the afternoon, I did an independent tour to North Cape with Monica from North Cape Sightseeing. This was also a 5 star tour! We stopped at a couple of fishing villages and she showed us King Crab. Stopped at Sami village to see reindeer and tried reindeer meat. Had about 90 minutes at North Cape for photos and watching film in visitors centre. Highly recommend both of these tours!

Canuckjammer